Ants in their feed

FireWife443

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
IMG_3048.jpg
IMG_2860.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
We are first time chicken parents and need help with ants in their feed. We recently purchased a hanging feeder, but I'm apprehensive to use it due to ants in our area. I currently set out feed first thing in the morning and again later in the afternoon. I go out periodically to check, and so many times find ants in the feeder. Their feed is place in a pan in the yard, as they are free ranging chickens, but with all the rain we have been receiving lately (Georgia) did put some feed in the coop and/or run, to find ants all over the feed in the morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially with the consideration for a bigger feeder that we can use when we go camping for a few days, leaving the chicks on their own. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 5
Hanging your feeders keeps them off the ground, usually away from ants. You might try using an "ant cup" from which to hang your feeder. Google it or look under hummingbird feeder supplies. It is a plastic cup with a built-in hanging hook and a second hanging hook underneath the cup. Ant cup acts like a 'moat' when kept filled with water; ants drown before reaching the feeder that hangs under the cup. Hang the ant cup where you want your feeder (preferably under shelter), fill with water, then hang your feeder on the cup's lower hook. You'll need to make a height adjustment for this type of setup.

I would caution against using any type of sticky substance around your chickens. One of my girls inadvertently got caught in a fly tape roll one day. Thankfully she was unharmed but I'll never put out anything sticky where a hen could even remotely come into contact.

Hanging your feeders keeps them off the ground, usually away from ants. You might try using an "ant cup" from which to hang your feeder. Google it or look under hummingbird feeder supplies. It is a plastic cup with a built-in hanging hook and a second hanging hook underneath the cup. Ant cup acts like a 'moat' when kept filled with water; ants drown before reaching the feeder that hangs under the cup. Hang the ant cup where you want your feeder (preferably under shelter), fill with water, then hang your feeder on the cup's lower hook. You'll need to make a height adjustment for this type of setup.

I would caution against using any type of sticky substance around your chickens. One of my girls inadvertently got caught in a fly tape roll one day. Thankfully she was unharmed but I'll never put out anything sticky where a hen could even remotely come into contact.
Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom