1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ants! Is it too soon

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tristan j, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Tristan j

Tristan j New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    I have tiny ants that have found my two day old chicks starter food in their brooder. I wasn't planning on giving them treats so soon but they are getting the odd one ( and maybe more ). I have put some grit in with them. My question is, do I need to be concerned about how soon or the amount of ants? I quite frankly would love to just let them eat them all, the ants are a problem every spring at my house. Also is sand good as grit? Thanks

2. JACspivey

JACspivey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    South Georgia
    I wish my chicks would eat ants. They just peck at them and move on. Sand is all the grit they get just because that's all that's in my yard.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    oh my goodness! I absolutely HATE ANTS. I must live on a darn ant pile!!! I wish my girls would eat them too but I have aggressive red fire ants and they won't eat them! in fact, a few years ago one of my bantams got attacked by them while she slept!! it was horrible! I came out in the morning to let them out and they were all over her bottom!! it was So HORRIBLE. I use this bird friendly spray now because I can't let them attack. I don't at all like using chemicals but this is supposed to be safe and plant based.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by