Ants killed baby pigeon

Herp Lover

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
El Mirage, Ca
I currently have my pigeons in the house until their coop is built and the ants killed one of my 2 week old babies and were working on the other one and going after the parents. I sprinkled DE around the cage but I think it will be blown away when the birds fly around so any ideas on keeping the ants out. I also have a rabbit, a cockatiel and rodents in my room so I need to make sure that the ant don't kill them also.

Would need to see your set up. Do know that putting a food dish in a larger bowl with water in it helps keep ants out of food.

Are they inside a coop or outside in a pen? #1 Clean up food sources for the ants. Change when, how and what they are fed.

??Are you able to set it's pen inside a small tub/pool, above the water line of course, perhaps on blocks etc. The water provides a barrier from the ants. Also a drop or two of oil in the water will immobilize them, should the ants fall in the tub/pool.

Or better, remove the birds, fog the area for ants, clean/wipe down area, ventilate well before returning the birds.
Hope these ideas help some. Stay in touch.

I put DE in the pigeon food so the ants don't get in that but they still come for the water. I could try to put the birds and rodents cages above water but my rabbit is housed in a x-pen. I just read that cinnamon, mint, chili powder and black pepper keep them out so I am going to try some of these[FONT=Droid Sans, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]

Sounds good. Don't forget to put some oil, baby oil, unscented (cooking oil), in the trap water. Reduces mobility. Add the spices, pepper to the water too.

Can you find the point of entry to your room for the ants? Is it raining outside? You could spray a diluted vinegar water or bleach water on the ant trails/source. Need to ventilate. Perhaps that sticky fly tape stuff well placed might help. If not, may need to get an exterminator.

Last edited:
That is a first for me however I am from Canada.

I am thinking it would take a lot of ants to kill a 2 week old squab.

Are you sure you got the cause of death right?

I am thinking the ants may have showed up after the squab died of natural causes.

I am a little confused did the death happen outside or in the house?

I personally lost 2 squabs about the same age (possibly a little younger) after I disturbed the parents nest for hygienic reasons.

The parents would not incubate the squabs and they died from cold.

Last edited:
Being from Florida I'm not surprised to hear of this. The insects down there invite themselves inside all the time. The best thing you can do is keep your place clean. I mean really clean. Store all your feed and food stuffs in an ant proof container or a freezer if at all possible. Take up all food at night. Clean your bird cages on a daily basis including scrubbing food and water dishes with diluted bleach. Use ant baits. You can spray insecticide outside the area to help create a barrier, but remember the ants already inside might have already established underground tunnels and storage areas and be able to live in your home. Won't hurt to contact a professional.

Insects have been around a long time and the best thing you can do is keep the place clean and all food unavailable to ants. No food=no bugs.

cinnamon works very well on ants - purchase from a bulk store and spread liberally (the ants will not cross cinnamon) but does wash away with rain. Another method I will be trying around my beehives is a 2 cups sugar : 1 cup water with 1 tsp of borax solution. Take a few water and soda bottles and put some 1/8” holes for ants to go in and eat mixture. Place these around so birds do not get access, but ants should be attracted to them and will kill them.

Sounds good. Don't forget to put some oil, baby oil, unscented (cooking oil), in the trap water. Reduces mobility. Add the spices, pepper to the water too.

Can you find the point of entry to your room for the ants? Is it raining outside? You could spray a diluted vinegar water or bleach water on the ant trails/source. Need to ventilate. Perhaps that sticky fly tape stuff well placed might help. If not, may need to get an exterminator.

I think the ants are coming it from under the house. I found a tiny hole in my closet that they were going through and but a pepper & water mixture over it.I use vinegar for all of my cleaning so I will try wiping down the area with it.
That is a first for me however I am from Canada.

I am thinking it would take a lot of ants to kill a 2 week old squab.

Are you sure you got the cause of death right?

I am thinking the ants may have showed up after the squab died of natural causes.

I am a little confused did the death happen outside or in the house?

I personally lost 2 squabs about the same age (possibly a little younger) after I disturbed the parents nest for hygienic reasons.

The parents would not incubate the squabs and they died from cold.

I checked on them about a hour before and they were active and acting normal with full crops. I pulled at least 50 ants off the living chick and there were a lot more on the dead one. The death happened inside the house. These ants are really aggressive and I get bit by them at least a few times a week. The funny thing is that everyone told me to be careful around the big red ants but it turns out that the tiny ants are the ones I have to watch for.

Being from Florida I'm not surprised to hear of this. The insects down there invite themselves inside all the time. The best thing you can do is keep your place clean. I mean really clean. Store all your feed and food stuffs in an ant proof container or a freezer if at all possible. Take up all food at night. Clean your bird cages on a daily basis including scrubbing food and water dishes with diluted bleach. Use ant baits. You can spray insecticide outside the area to help create a barrier, but remember the ants already inside might have already established underground tunnels and storage areas and be able to live in your home. Won't hurt to contact a professional.

Insects have been around a long time and the best thing you can do is keep the place clean and all food unavailable to ants. No food=no bugs.

We keep our food sealed or we put DE down around it so the ants can't get it but they seem to come for the water and they also try to make homes in my house plants.

cinnamon works very well on ants - purchase from a bulk store and spread liberally (the ants will not cross cinnamon) but does wash away with rain. Another method I will be trying around my beehives is a 2 cups sugar : 1 cup water with 1 tsp of borax solution. Take a few water and soda bottles and put some 1/8” holes for ants to go in and eat mixture. Place these around so birds do not get access, but ants should be attracted to them and will kill them.

I will try the cinnamon if the pepper does not work. I think I will try the borax thing under the house.

EDIT: I found out that they are fire ants :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom