1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anxiety... help, I feel sick

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Robin'sBrood, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    So I'm supposed to be going on vacation soon, for a week. I'm having so much anxiety over leaving my animals and my little garden it's incredible. I can't afford to have a pet sitter come over for an entire week because my dogs are used to going outside about 5 times a day and pet sitters charge per visit. Not to mention the extra charge to take care of my chickens too. So I've arranged to have a 19 year old teenager move into my house for the week.

I completely trust her as far as being here goes. My anxiety is over the maturity level of 19 year olds these days. Will she get up and take my dogs out at 8:00 in the morning like they're used to? Will she remember to give my dog his medicine every 12 hours? Will she give my chickens fresh water and food every morning? Will she remember to water my straw bale garden every evening? Will she pick anything that needs picking every day? Will she remember to water the plants on my porch? And the thoughts continue.

Ugh, I really, really just want to stay home. [​IMG]

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I know how you feel....last summer I left for a three day weekend (I got married) and we trusted an 11 year old (with parents' help) to care for our two dogs, four cats, chickens, ducks, horses, reptiles, huge yard & garden. He didn't do so well. Nothing alive died but nothing was in good shape when we returned. I have another vacation this time an entire week off--planned for the third week of July...but unless I can get my parents to come up & stay & care for everything...I probably won't go. [​IMG]

Don't know if that helped or hurt your situation...but good luck...and try to relax....if I was closer, I'd do it--and I'm obessive-complusive! LOL

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Make a chore list with the times you prefer they be completed daily. Be specific.

Enjoy your vacation.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*It's really, really tough turning over control of pets and everything. When DH and I both went together to visit my folks, we had our 'adopted' kid take care of the place. He's a very experienced house-sitter and very mature for his age-- but, it was still wrenching to go. At least for the first couple days!!

5. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    You poor thing. I can tell you are almost frantic about it. (hugs)

I have house/pet sitted before. A few years ago, my aunt Susan & her hubby went on her dream vacation to Hawaii for three weeks! I lived in her house and kept her three dogs.

I was over thirty at the time and supposedly at least as responsible as a 19 year old. LOL But I think things will go fine.

In perfect honesty, she will probably not follow your schedule 100%. But to ensure that she remembers everything, write up your schedule, hour by hour, on a big grid and stick it on your fridge so she can check off things as she does them. Make a grid for each day you are going to be gone and leave space at the bottom for her to write down anything unusual she observes. (I learned this while working at a vet.)

She should write down how many eggs she gets (just for example) each day, note if one of the dogs doesn't seem to be eating well, is one of the chickens acting funny... things like that. This information will be mostly useless to you, but doing it will make the seriousness of her assignment more apparent and it should make her FEEL more responsible.

Plus, the guilt of her having to LIE in a check box of a missed schedule event will make her not as likely to forget.

She will miss a few, though, almost certainly. But, even if she only walks the dogs four times on a couple of days, and even if she misses watering the garden one time---you will probably come home to find everything running smoothly.

I hope you have a great time.

Cassandra

6. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I agree with MissPrissy.

Leave a detailed list with times for medications etc. I'm sure things will all be done, just maybe not quite like you would do them (my kids are 20 & 22)! [​IMG]

Try to relax and enjoy your vacation. [​IMG]

7. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh my gosh I am going through the same thing. I'm going on vacation for 10 days. How can we trust anyone to take as good care of our animals as we do? I'll probably have my cousin house sit. But she doesn't know my flock like I do.
    Good luck with your situation. Leave a detailed list! Call frequently.
    [​IMG]

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I would link her pay to the accurate performance of the tasks you outline for her. Maybe pay a deposit before you leave, with the promise that the balance will be paid when you return and find that all is well.

I would also put things in writing and make sure she reads it. Perhaps add a line or two in there about visitors / overnight guests and alcohol not tolerated. Try to phrase it as nice as you can.

9. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Maybe you could have someone pop in to check on things once or twice? If you do - make sure you tell the sitter this will happen just so she doesn't feel like you don't trust her.

I know how you feel - I'm leaving in the middle of hatching! But my mom is going to watch my eggs and my son is going to take care of the animals.

Have fun on your vaca. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by