Any advice for a special needs duckling

Thank you

There is vitamin E and Niacin in the Poly-vi-sol (which are infant vitamin drops and are recommended by several people on this site for wry neck) and selenium in the brewers yeast (along with other B vitamins). She gets both daily in her food and water.

I tried to upload a video of her walking but couldn't figure out how to do it.

EDIT: Yes, she has been able to eat and drink on her own since we brought her home. She is growing and has a hearty appetite. She is also able to swim but with the lack of oil being spread around her body she gets water logged very quickly. She started walking about a day after we brought her home and at times seems to be getting stronger, but then she will have a bad day. We are trying to stay positive.

Last edited:
These are really positive signs - I appreciate the oil gland is a concern.

We had lots of issues with our hatchlings this year and for those that survived, it took weeks to get them right with a mix of good and bad days inbetween.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things:

@Miss Lydia and @Isaac 0

Is there any extra help options for Wobbles on the oil side of things pls ?

The only way I know of keeping her feathers oiled down, is manually doing it for her. Rub, your thumb and index finger on her oil gland and it should naturally secrete a little bit of oil, your fingers should then be slightly greasy, and you can "preen" just how she would. Pinch the feather and pull with the "grain".

Will this help completely, probably not, but it should help her repel water more efficiently.

Adding foods with omega-3 fatty acids may help such as flaxseed, or fish.

Back
Top Bottom