Any advice for gasping for air in ducks!

I somehow lost track of this thread, and I am so glad to see that Frankie is going to have some friends soon (well, in addition to her cat friend). Your ducklings are beautiful and THOSE NAMES! LOVE THEM!!!! I am probably getting a couple of call ducks soon. I may need to bug you for some help with naming them... 😉

Duckies grow so fast that they'll all be together before you know it! Hugs, hugs, and more hugs, friend!

I somehow lost track of this thread, and I am so glad to see that Frankie is going to have some friends soon (well, in addition to her cat friend). Your ducklings are beautiful and THOSE NAMES! LOVE THEM!!!! I am probably getting a couple of call ducks soon. I may need to bug you for some help with naming them... 😉

Duckies grow so fast that they'll all be together before you know it! Hugs, hugs, and more hugs, friend!
Thank you Angus. And thank you so much for all of your support. I can't say it enough that you all helped my heart and soul during this tragedy and rebuilding process around the hole of losing my Gracie.
I would love to brainstorm names with you when you get your Call babies.
I used to wish ducklings didn't grow so fast to enjoy them as floof balls longer, but with these girls I can't wait until they are bigger and can integrate in with Frankie.
Frankers threw a fit this morning that it went from summer weather to snow again in May here in Colorado. Luckily I bought her a new snuffle mat for her run to forage in since it's freezing here again and she can't go out in the yard.

Good 'ole Colorado. It went from inches of snow to being a decent day. Frankie is happy about it chilling with her kitty.
I have a question for you ladies though: why do they twitch their wings?
I first noticed it a long while back when they went through a molt, which made sense to me. I'm sure those pin feathers didn't feel great coming in. I also noticed they did it at the vet when stressed out. But now Frankie is doing it off and on a lot since Gracie passed. Is it just stress or her being irritated at her situation?

Attachments

• 20220521_160607.jpg
    20220521_160607.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Hi @CayugaDuckMomOfTwo , I just read through this thread and I was telling my DH about what happened and started crying 😭 myself thinking about "what if" with my two duckies. I am heartbroken 💔 thinking about how you felt and what you were going through at the time. I could completely see myself with your same reactions if this happens to us 🥺. I do want to say that you absolutely did everything possible for Grace even if you didn't think so then, I hope you know now 👏💯. My point is to not bring up old wounds though, I am just hoping to get an update on Frankie, Demeter & Kijora. Lots of love 💕 and hugs 🤗

Hi @CayugaDuckMomOfTwo , I just read through this thread and I was telling my DH about what happened and started crying 😭 myself thinking about "what if" with my two duckies. I am heartbroken 💔 thinking about how you felt and what you were going through at the time. I could completely see myself with your same reactions if this happens to us 🥺. I do want to say that you absolutely did everything possible for Grace even if you didn't think so then, I hope you know now 👏💯. My point is to not bring up old wounds though, I am just hoping to get an update on Frankie, Demeter & Kijora. Lots of love 💕 and hugs 🤗
Thank you for your sweet message. I tanked again yesterday, and cried for hours thinking about Grace, and watching Frankie figure out how to live without her other half. Frankie has been a little more chatty, and she did her "dominant bite mom while doing a happy feet dance" for the first time since Gracie passed. Of course I cried happy tears, since it was the first time she really touched me, and let me tickle her chest for weeks. We foraged for hours together last night, and she kept coming over to see what I had found. Her right eye is still tearing (really hard to tell since their head are wet all the time), but she still has 5 days left of her antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. Ducks are smart, let me tell ya. Frankie is given tablets mixed with mealworms vs Grace's liquid I had to syringe down her throat. Frankie can pick out all the mealworms around the cut up tablets at 100 mph. I'm taking her back in to the vet for a recheck after the meds are done.
Because of my now super paranoia, I had not introduced the ducklings to her yet. I read there should be a minimum of a 4 week quarantine period, and that they do better when the ducklings aren't so little and "peeping". So far Demeter and Kijora are doing well. They are PIGS, and I had to help Demeter when she started choking one night from eating too fast and not drinking water in-between gulps of food. I switched them to tiny crumbles vs pellets real fast. She about gave me a heart attack. They love their bathtub time of course. I got them an outdoor pen to explore outside (away from Frankie to be safe).
Sorry for the novel, I'm just trying to figure out how to live with this crater size hole in my heart and without my Grace. My boyfriend had a big blanket made with a picture of Grace that's says "Grace, Forever in my heart" on it. I would give anything to get her back and make our family whole again.

Back
Top Bottom