Any advice for gasping for air in ducks!

Pics
Nov 3, 2021
I have a 9 mo old Cayuga that is being seen by a vet (exotic not poultry vet). I've had her on Metacam, and Baytril for over a week, and he now gave her Itraconazol for potential Aspergillosis (she's had one dose). I gave her some dewormer (fenbendazole) a couple weeks ago when she developed an occasional cough. So far, she has only gotten worse. She started open mouth breathing this past Saturday, and luckily she made it through the weekend so I could bring her back in Monday morning. They did radiographs and it only showed some inflammation, and ruled out pneumonia. He said her lungs don't sound bad. We don't think it's Avian flu since her sister is completely normal still. I'm waiting to hear back on bloodwork, but in the meantime I thought I'd reach out for any advice someone might have from going through a similar experience. She's still gasping for air with every inhalation. She stopped eating this morning as well. It's breaking my heart to see her this way. She keeps fighting, so I have been too. I want to give the fungicide more time to see if it helps before I make the hard decision to put her down. Could it still be gapeworm even though she got some dewormer a couple of weeks ago? My vet is trying to help, but I'm worried his expertise is limited when it comes to ducks. I can't find a single poultry vet close by house.
Thanks for any help yall can give.
The video is from Sunday. The open mouth breathing is more pronounced to gasping now.

I just read your story and I'm so sorry for your hard situation with your sweet duck. Sounds like you're doing everything possible to help her. I have used Oxine AH, though not in a situation such as yours, so I can't speak to its effectiveness really. What I did was put my ducks in a large dog crate covered with sheets. I put the Oxine/water mixture in a vaporizer and had them sit in there while it was going for twenty minutes or so a few times a day. I really hope she turns a corner today!
Thank you so much. I hope with all my heart she does too. I just bought a weather pod thing for camping to put her in when I get home. I just bought a fogger machine from Ace Hardware since the tri jet fogger won't be here until tomorrow and I don't have that long to wait. I'm heading to UPS now to wait for the package of Oxine AH to be sorted and brought to the front. A sweet lady there is trying to find it in the trucks as fast as she can. I will be sure to update if several treatments of this improves her at all.

Attachments

• received_3918409111717048.jpeg
    received_3918409111717048.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 5
You aren't a terrible mom, but that feeling is a normal part of the grief process. Sometimes bad/sad things just happen. Your ducks are very lucky to have a wonderful, loving owner who cares for them deeply. If only all ducks were so fortunate.

My vet told me that when he dies he wants to be reincarnated as one of my pets. And one of my precious ducks had aspergillosis, too.
Thank you for your kind words, and I'm so sorry one of yours went through it too. Did your baby make it through it?
People might think we're crazy for loving animals so deeply, and as much as we do people. All my animals are my children and it's the hardest thing in the world to lose them so young. My poor girl is only 9 mo old, and already I know our souls intertwined, and we shared the best 9 mo together.
I've made my decision to have my sister, that's a vet tech at a shelter, help me put her down tonight. I can't believe this is happening. It was not long ago that she was swimming around, chasing minnows, goofing around with her sister, giggling, purring, wagging her tail when I loved on her and cuddled her, and her newest thing was riding their ramp down like a surfer when I lowered it in the morning to let them out. I would tell her "get it girl, ride that wave." My heart is being ripped out my chest. And I can't imagine her what her poor sister Frankie is going to go through.
She isn't any better, and is only taking sips of water occasionally. I can't watch her suffer anymore. She hasn't been able to rest for days. Every breath is a struggle, and I don't want her to suffer any longer. We've tried it all, Baytril, Metacam, Itraconazol, Tylosin, and now Oxine AH. So much damage has been done to whole body at this point. Radiographs showed only inflammation and the vet said her lungs didn't sound bad, but her bloodwork was very abnormal. Sorry for the novel. I think I'm trying to convince myself I'm making the right decision to put her down and end her battle. She's a tough cookie, and fought with all her might. She's my big brave girl and I knew she wouldn't go down without a fight. I can't imagine feeling like you can't breath for over 5 days would be like.
Thank you to everyone that helped me, and for sharing kind, caring words.
This group definitely kept me from buckling to my knees today.

Attachments

• received_3028443424133938.jpeg
    received_3028443424133938.jpeg
    744.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220430_173155.jpg
    20220430_173155.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 4
Thank you everyone for the advice and positive thoughts. She's still with me today, but in the same condition. I have Oxine AH coming tomorrow, and a tri jet fogger coming Friday. I thought it was worth a shot. The steam doesn't seem to help, but I'll continue that as well with the VetRX. I can only stay hopeful at this point that something kicks in. I love her with all of my heart, and would give anything to take her pain away. She still wants to fight, as she tried to eat this morning. Unfortunately it throws her into a coughing fit when she does and has to lay back down to catch her breath. This is definitely a mother's worst nightmare. Please keep sending positive healing energy her way 💗

I agree, you're not a terrible mom - you obviously love and show great care with your ducks! Despite our best efforts there are so many things that can go wrong - I've had numerous mystery illnesses and plenty of troubles with my ducks, despite the fact that I'm devoting lots of time and energy towards them and try my best to give them a great life. They're just not that hardy, in my opinion, and stuff happens. I really hope your sweet girl turns a corner and pulls through, but don't blame yourself for what's going on!
I needed to hear that, thank you. I wish she did turn a corner too. What started out as an occasional cough, turned into what it is now. She's literally gasping, making audible squeak noises as she breaths, and going into coughing fits that practically make her fall over. Her back is hunched, and tail feathers are spread. She stands to catch her breath, but I can tell she's so tired and wants to rest her eyes and body. This is torture to watch. I've been next to her for over 24hrs straight, and there's no reprieve to her symptoms. I still can't believe this is really happening to my sweetheart. She truly is a special girl, and will always have a place in my heart.

Thank you everyone. It's with a broken heart to say she ended up passing away before my sister could make to my house to put her down. It was the saddest last moments as she passed away. It looked so painful when she went. I'm tearing myself and this whole situation apart. I wish I had put her down days ago so she didn't suffer all the way until the end. She looked like she wanted to fight by continuing to try to drink and eat, so I kept trying everything I could. But now I feel like a selfish monster for letting her struggle in pain for so long. I'm beyond lost right now, and I miss her so much and wish she had a long happy life as she deserved.

It's the hardest decision ever to have to make, wanting them to keep fighting and survive and knowing when to say it's time to end the suffering.
Try and allow comfort in the fact the short time you had her she brought so much joy to you and the special relationship you had with her. Now you need to focus on her sister who is going to need you since she doesn't have her sis. :hugs
Grieving is an important part of life so don't feel guilt.
Also please feel free to share special moments and pictures with us. We are here to support.
Thank you Lydia, it's so hard to know when to stop fighting because I wanted to try everything to give her a chance. I always would've wondered if trying the last thing, the oxine, would've worked. She went out with such a fight, and my only peace in my heart now is that her suffering is over. It's just so hard not to think I should've ended it sooner now.
I would love to share stories when I'm able. I'm worried about Frankie now. She was lost this morning without her other half. My heart is in a million pieces.

I'm so sorry about your girl! That sounds so hard. You weren't selfish, you were doing everything you possibly could to help her get better because you cared about her. And you also were thinking of her sister. It's impossible to know if our best efforts will help our animals or not, but your desire the whole way was for her best. I hope you're able to find a good situation for Frankie that brings both of you peace!
Thank you Cori, that means so much to me. My animals are my children, and no mother should have to watch their child suffer and pass away so young. I wish I could comfort Frankie with love and affection, but only Grace was my sweet cuddly girl that loved to be snuggled and loved on. She would wag her tail and purr if I pet and massaged her. I'm going to spend time next to Frankie so she knows she isn't alone.

Just got off the phone with the vet. She's not egg bound (they took her lung radiograph far enough down to see), no gapeworms due to bloodwork results. She has several abnormalities in her bloodwork (liver, kidney, pancreas, and RBC). I was told to continue with meds, but she's very ill with some type of infection. If she doesn't improve at all soon I'm going to have to put her down. My heart is shattered! And I don't don't know what to do about her sister, Frankie if Grace doesn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom