Any Advice for Guineas

Wackums

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2019
I didn't know it but mom ordered 10 chicks from tractor supply and we got 12. 5 died within 2 days but they were done really weak. 12 more came into today and they're really strong but 1 died. In the future I wanna know some advice for breeding them, like how can I keep them incredibly close and laying their eggs in a easily accessible spot and maybe catch some.

I start mine with electrolytes as soon as I get them and have been very lucky. The breeder recommended starting their food on a plate instead of a feeder and to put stones or something like this (I use the glass rocks for a fish tank) in their water bowl to prevent drowning. I make sure they all get something to drink on arrival, the area is warm and easy to keep clean. You really need to read the Guinea 101, there is a lot of good information.

I didn't know it but mom ordered 10 chicks from tractor supply and we got 12. 5 died within 2 days but they were done really weak. 12 more came into today and they're really strong but 1 died. In the future I wanna know some advice for breeding them, like how can I keep them incredibly close and laying their eggs in a easily accessible spot and maybe catch some.
Curious how your second batch is doing. Same situation as yours, out of 24, I have 6 thriving, 2 4wk and 4 3 wk.

Next time I wouldn't buy them from tractor supply. You can't really hope to catch them unless they're stuck in a pen or something. There's really no good way to find their eggs. We put fake eggs in the boxes so that they'll keep laying there, and it works quite well. When they're small, make sure to hold them at least twice a day, away from the rest of the flock so that they will learn that you are their friend. Their feet are also SUPER fragile and you need to make sure not to break them or let them get broken. Also, they require a lot more protein and other minerals/supplements than chickens do, so you need to choose a feed that's specifically for guineas/ one that's high in the nutrients that they need. I wouldn't feed them insects until they are almost ready to go outside. Make sure to keep them in their house and pen for a long while before letting them free or else they won't come home at night. Introducing them to new birds can be risky unless they are really young. Our guineas were raised with chicks, so they get along GREAT with our chicken flock.
If you have any questions about then, just ask! We own six guineas and they are wonderful birds. Haven't been tick-bit in a long while.

Back
Top Bottom