Any advice for this duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by QuackerJackFarms, Dec 1, 2011.

1. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    It hatched yesterday. But it's not standing. It's trying to, but only able to scoot around in the same position on it's side. Also, I realized, I haven't seen it open it's eyes yet. Any suggestions on something I can do? Or not do.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

While snapping this pic. He did try to open his eyes. At least I know he HAS eyes. [​IMG]

Edited for typos.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    QJ
    just give him a little more time..
    it took my first two a long while until they got up..
    what i did was i kept trying to get them to lay on their tummys (sometimes they would just FLOP right back to thier sides but i think it helped.)
    also 70 told me to take a hot wash cloth and wipe mojos eyes with it..
    opps forgot to say it could just be a little slower then the others...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duckyfromoz is dealing with a thiamine-deficient duckling right now. Check out her topic. And I'd get some serious ducky vitamins ready. that may help.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hatching can take a lot of strength and leave them very weak. When you take it out of the incubator to put in the brooder- dip the beak into some water with vitamins in it to try and give it a boost. I always have a vitamin powder mix on hand and mix some up for the first offering of water in the brooder for each hatch. The vitamins may help as long as there isnt something internally wrong with the duckling.

5. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks everyone. I have gotten some Vitamin water down her twice now. I've had weak ducklings but this one is doing something funny with her head.

I'll go find DuckyfromOz's thread. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by