Any alternatives to duck food while i wait for it to arrive?

saydeei

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2020
I have two ducks, and they’re low on food, so i’ve ordered some that was supposed to arrive tomorrow but will arrive later due to shipping delays apparently. I still have some food left but not a whole lot, is there anything i can feed them to supplement the food they have? (i already give them fruit and such, but would scrambled eggs work?) it’s a temporary situation, but any help would be appreciated, thanks !!

veggies, scrambled egg (including shell if they are laying age hens), and dried bugs combined could keep them healthy for a couple days

How long will it be until their food gets there? Could you go to a feed store and get some until it arrives?
about 2/3 days, and i’m getting a 50 lbs bag so i would prefer to use what i have for now until it gets here

veggies, scrambled egg (including shell if they are laying age hens), and dried bugs combined could keep them healthy for a couple days
they are not yet of laying age, but for when they are, how would i put the shell in? would i have to grind it up?

Not recommended for long term feeding, but in this case you could add a few breadcrusts (whole grain is better than white), or any kind of cornbread or crackers or rice or oatmeal or cornmeal or grits (etc). Cooked potatoes would be good too.

Purchased food has a lot of grain in it (mostly corn), which is why I'm suggesting some grain-based thing in addition to eggs, vegetables, fruits, bugs, slugs, fish, meat, etc. (And of course you're still feeding them what's left of the normal food.)

Eggshells-- just squish it a bit so it doesn't look like an egg. They should be able to break it smaller with their beak if they need to. No need to rinse, dry, cook, or grind it.

If it's just a few days, they won't have time to develop any major nutritional issues, so you don't have to get it completely "right." Enough non-poisonous calories should do the trick, and most people food is non-poisonous to ducks.

In my research I learned that ducks love peas, I have yet to try those with mine tho. They need more niacin than chickens so if you had a chicken food you could add peas to help make up for it or sprinkle brewers yeast in there food, both add niacin.

I saw this was from November, depending where you are you could also collect dandelion greens, they love those, or maybe some other weeds like plantain, clover or wild mustard, I’m not sure if they like them as much.

Back
Top Bottom