Any artists out there?

I haven't worked myself up to try oils yet. Waiting for acrylics to flash dry so I can layer up is already too much time :)
Haha, that is a plus to acrylics. Oil paints in winter take at least a month to dry. I was taught the very traditional way of painting then last handful of years getting into my "own" style. Have a question for you, how do you get the paint to look like that? It's very interesting.

20210701_095241.jpg 20210806_230139.jpg

Haha, that is a plus to acrylics. Oil paints in winter take at least a month to dry. I was taught the very traditional way of painting then last handful of years getting into my "own" style. Have a question for you, how do you get the paint to look like that? It's very interesting.
The base layer is what's known as an acrylic paint pour. Looks like this:
20220111_164129.jpg

This specific style is an open cup galaxy pour. You drop a pillow (puddle) of a base color on your canvas and put some kind of an open ring in it (I use about the top 3 inches of a red solo cup). Then you add in your other pigments in whatever order you like for your desired effect. It helps to have some variation in the viscosity of pigment too as that encourages the colors to flow and blend in interesting ways. When you have enough paint volume in the ring, it will float your ring and the color will start seeping out underneath giving you little pools and cells of color. Keep doing that until you have enough paint volume to cover your canvas, pull the ring, and then start tilting to move your color around. Pop bubbles with a torch, and this is what you end up with. There are many other ways to do acrylic pours and all have their own techniques, paint formulations, and tricks. It's 85% chaos, 10% luck, and 5% skill :)

From there it's all hand painting and airbrushing for the detail work to get where I'm at now, and there's a bunch more hours of that to get it finished. I still have planets to hand paint, high and low-lights to add in to all the clouds and nebula for depth, more stars in several colors, and probably at least one of the planets will get some glow-in-the-dark attention too.

When I first started doing these, I could do them in a couple hours after the base paint layer was dry enough to work (and with paint pours that's about 24 hours). The more I do them, the longer it seems to take now, but it's because I'm adding tons more detail than I ever used to. And the devil (and time) is in the details.

View attachment 2962731

This specific style is an open cup galaxy pour. You drop a pillow (puddle) of a base color on your canvas and put some kind of an open ring in it (I use about the top 3 inches of a red solo cup). Then you add in your other pigments in whatever order you like for your desired effect. It helps to have some variation in the viscosity of pigment too as that encourages the colors to flow and blend in interesting ways. When you have enough paint volume in the ring, it will float your ring and the color will start seeping out underneath giving you little pools and cells of color. Keep doing that until you have enough paint volume to cover your canvas, pull the ring, and then start tilting to move your color around. Pop bubbles with a torch, and this is what you end up with. There are many other ways to do acrylic pours and all have their own techniques, paint formulations, and tricks. It's 85% chaos, 10% luck, and 5% skill :)

From there it's all hand painting and airbrushing for the detail work to get where I'm at now, and there's a bunch more hours of that to get it finished. I still have planets to hand paint, high and low-lights to add in to all the clouds and nebula for depth, more stars in several colors, and probably at least one of the planets will get some glow-in-the-dark attention too.

When I first started doing these, I could do them in a couple hours after the base paint layer was dry enough to work (and with paint pours that's about 24 hours). The more I do them, the longer it seems to take now, but it's because I'm adding tons more detail than I ever used to. And the devil (and time) is in the details.
Thanks for sharing how it is done. From the picture it looks like melted wax. Yep, as all artists know more detail more time. Then again the results are amazing! Love to see more of your work!

View attachment 2962731

And those patches that look a lot like cells (of the anatomical kind) are made with silica oil or something, right?

Loving your profile Frankie!
Thanks!
pride chickens!?! I would love a series like that! this is so cute!
Thank you! I’ve been working on the abro one, since that’s one of my flags. XD
I’m still trying to figure out what breeds go on certain flags, so if you have any ideas, I’d love to hear them! I’m hoping to do all of them at some point.

Back
Top Bottom