Any artists out there?

Final pattern.... 146 pieces.
20240407_154725.jpg

I love stained glass! How do you do it?

I am making my own patterns which means I need to know how to draw and how the glass can be shaped first. Patterns are cut from one single piece with a special pair of pattern scissors with 3 blades. I am using vinyl sticker paper for ink jet printers so I can make my patterns water proof, but traditional method is rubber cement and plain paper. The pieces are applied to the glass and scored around the pieces with a glass cutter, then broken carefully along the score lines with a special pair of pliers called "grozing pliers". The rough pieces are then ground to the edges of the pattern with a grinding machine that has a diamond drum that spins to grind the glass with a messy spray of water that keeps the drum clean, the ground glass from becoming aerosolized dust, and the glass cool to keep it from heat stress cracking. When all the pieces are shaped perfectly, copper foil tape is applied around the edges, which is special tape made of copper metal with a stretchy powerful adhesive on the back. The tape is pressed around the edges of the glass perfectly centered, and the edges of the tape are pressed down to hug the glass on both sides, burnished to be really tight to the glass with a smooth plastic tool, and pinned together really tightly on a board for soldering. Each junction where pieces fit together with one another needs a "tack solder" to hold all the parts in place, then the pins pushing the whole thing tight can be removed, and the rest of the panel can be soldered fully. Soldering is done with a 100 watt iron with a large flat tinned tip and 50/50 or 40/60 tin solder for stained glass. Brush flux on all the copper foil and down into any cracks to help the solder flow nicely and run a bead of solder with the iron as you go to solder the parts. After everything is soldered, hanging hardware/frame/lead came can be added, along with any chemical treatment you might want for the solder lines (you can color them copper pink color or black with chemicals).

I keep messing with my pattern. But this one is actually the last one. It is large, and I gave up trying to figure out how to tessellate 9 sheets of printed design perfectly. So I sent my design to a specialty printing company to have it printed on a large format vinyl sticker. The final size is 2 feet 2 inches by 1 foot 5 inches. Estimated delivery is the 10th so I get to sit on my hands for a little bit.
Jasper_and_Agate_Final-Final.jpg

I am making my own patterns which means I need to know how to draw and how the glass can be shaped first. Patterns are cut from one single piece with a special pair of pattern scissors with 3 blades. I am using vinyl sticker paper for ink jet printers so I can make my patterns water proof, but traditional method is rubber cement and plain paper. The pieces are applied to the glass and scored around the pieces with a glass cutter, then broken carefully along the score lines with a special pair of pliers called "grozing pliers". The rough pieces are then ground to the edges of the pattern with a grinding machine that has a diamond drum that spins to grind the glass with a messy spray of water that keeps the drum clean, the ground glass from becoming aerosolized dust, and the glass cool to keep it from heat stress cracking. When all the pieces are shaped perfectly, copper foil tape is applied around the edges, which is special tape made of copper metal with a stretchy powerful adhesive on the back. The tape is pressed around the edges of the glass perfectly centered, and the edges of the tape are pressed down to hug the glass on both sides, burnished to be really tight to the glass with a smooth plastic tool, and pinned together really tightly on a board for soldering. Each junction where pieces fit together with one another needs a "tack solder" to hold all the parts in place, then the pins pushing the whole thing tight can be removed, and the rest of the panel can be soldered fully. Soldering is done with a 100 watt iron with a large flat tinned tip and 50/50 or 40/60 tin solder for stained glass. Brush flux on all the copper foil and down into any cracks to help the solder flow nicely and run a bead of solder with the iron as you go to solder the parts. After everything is soldered, hanging hardware/frame/lead came can be added, along with any chemical treatment you might want for the solder lines (you can color them copper pink color or black with chemicals).

I keep messing with my pattern. But this one is actually the last one. It is large, and I gave up trying to figure out how to tessellate 9 sheets of printed design perfectly. So I sent my design to a specialty printing company to have it printed on a large format vinyl sticker. The final size is 2 feet 2 inches by 1 foot 5 inches. Estimated delivery is the 10th so I get to sit on my hands for a little bit.View attachment 3795192
I like the addition of the clouds.

A couple new pieces of art.
This first one I made a video for:
View attachment 3797301
It’s my main OC, Raptor, in other Wings of Fire artist’s styles, including the ones who illustrated the comic book and original books.
This one is a commission. :)
View attachment 3797306
1269AAE7-D201-40FA-8FAC-71230467B744.jpeg

Bruh, the first one I did was just January 7th (up) and the second one was today, and I can already tell how much I’ve gotten better.
HOW SO SOOOOON. 💀

Back
Top Bottom