Any Australian Cattle Dog/ACD Mix/working breed owners out there?

We currently have two ACD's, a blue and a red. The blue is Boone and Reba is the red. We fell in love with the breed about 17 years ago when our oldest son got his first. After years of having Golden Retrievers (which are amazing family pets) we switched to heelers. Never have I had more intelligent and energetic dogs. And to say they are loyal to a fault is an understatement! Ours aren't working dogs but you can definitely see the wheels turning when they are around cattle. They inherently know they should be doing something around that animal but just aren't sure what. They are very interested in our chickens as well but have thus far never harmed any. I will forever be a heeler lover. BTW, you nailed it with your remark about velociraptors!😄

Attachments

• 20200428_184046.jpg
    20200428_184046.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200621_140451.jpg
    20200621_140451.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200719_132844.jpg
    20200719_132844.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 6
Cute dog and great name! I had an ACD through the early 20-teens, The Bucket. He was the kind of dog people still tell stories about. I miss him dearly.

ACDs are characters, but yeah, I never trusted him with poultry. The prey drive was, whew! I'd only ever had herding dogs until recently. The Bucket ranked up there with our family Border Collie for being the hardest-headed. Our Shelties were cake in comparison, though one was loco.

I've herded with the Border Collie, some Shelties, and The Bucket. The Border Collie was the star there. The Bucket preferred stuff like agility. If he were around today, I would've gotten him into Dock Dog and/or Flyball. He lived to fetch and swim.

Besides all the exercise and socialization, I guess I'd say the following:
  • If he's driving you nuts, teach him a new trick, or give him a problem to solve, like a smart toy or the "find it" thing you're doing. The Bucket knew all kinds of tricks. I could say "clean up," and he'd grab all his toys and throw them back in the basket.
  • Be consistent. Give him an inch, and he'll take miles. However, they're smart enough to understand different house rules, so don't worry if others feel the need to spoil him. For example, I didn't want him on furniture, and if I ever let him on the couch, he'd start jumping up all the time without being asked. Meanwhile, he'd sleep on the bed with my mom when kept him, but when he came home, he'd go right back to my rules. It's only if I faltered that he'd take advantage.
  • Remember that most people don't realize how intense breeds like ACDs can really be. Obviously some are calmer than others and The Bucket was friendly and well trained, but it was amazing how much chaos he could cause if I wasn't careful. I turned my back once at a dog bakery, and he tried to herd a huge mastiff by nipping his ankles and face like a bull. It didn't go over well. Another time, someone was throwing a ball for him by a bonfire, and we ended up having to chase him down with a hose. He didn't care that his leg was on fire as long as he caught that ball mid air. And once, I accidentally kicked a soccer ball out the door of our rooftop apartment, and he flung himself off the landing after it. Fortunately he hit tree branches on the way down that broke his fall. We had just moved to the mountains, and I made a note to never hike him off leash. He had no sense of heights. Or fear.
Wish I had better photos of him. Here are a couple from when he was 8 or 9.

Attachments

• TheB.png
    TheB.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 7
  • TheB2.png
    TheB2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
I have a Mutt who when he was younger, was super high drive and high energy.

You need to give them something to do.. running the dog isn't going to do anyting. Do something mentally stimulating, like scent work or agility. That will tire mind and body

don't give food for free. Use it as a game. train with kibble. or put it in puzzle toys. Work.that.brain!

Try herding!! I am sure you can find a herding club in your area what will teach your dog in a safe way!

No herding? find a different sport. Anything will work. These types of dogs usually aren't picky and will do pretty much anything as long as it makes you happy.

Thats all!

Here is my dude.. I am guessing he is a bully breed (maybe APBT???), Labrador, and Beagle

20190510_165944.jpg

Back
Top Bottom