Any Australian Shepherd owner here?

Balefire

Songster
8 Years
9 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Orwigsburg PA
I'm thinking about to get a Australian Shepherd puppy, but I will do my homework first. I have 2 Aussi muds, but this time I like to get a pure bred one. So I'm looking for some help to find the "right" breeder or a good rescue

This is Hexe. Her dad was a Aussie and mom was a Border Collie x Collie. She moved with me from Germany. She is 8 years

86182_hexemaus.jpg

And this is Wizard, we got him from a high traffic kill shelter in Kenntucky. He is around 2 years now

86182_wizardboy.jpg

I have one.
smile.png

Yes, they're very smart, easy to train... Not to mention FRIENDLY.
th.gif
He's never, ever bitten anyone. Also, like the above poster said, they're protective of their family and like to herd them around.
lol.png
We recently got a puppy, and our Aussie herds her along on the walks, and he's SO gentle with her when she tries to play.
When my brother was younger, he'd literally lay on the dog's back, so his head was on his neck, and sing and pet him. He'd sometimes tug on the dog's ears, and all of this would happen while (the dog) was eating!
th.gif
He's a huge sweetheart.
They are, however, loud and energetic. Ours is debarked (While he was being watched by someone at their house, he was barking so loud he got a complaint, so he had to be by law) and he can still make your ears ring. I wish we'd have trained him to stop barking on command when he was younger... Also, if he doesn't get a walk every day he's so obnoxious.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif
Especially if you live on a farm I'd recommend this breed.
smile.png

Love, love, love Aussies... Here is Rileah,
89745_can_i_please_come_in.jpg

she is my second Aussie, while both had destinct personalities, there were certain characteristics that came thru loud and clear on both.. Super loyal, they will do anything to please you, very smart and easily trained, great with kids (you do have to watch out for herding behaviors and correct it when they are young though).. I never have to worry about where she is, my first aussie, Shadow, was the same way, if they are more than 40' away, they are on a stay and waiting for the recall or turning around to come back to you.. great with other animals, very friendly (I have met some that can be a bit reserved when they first meet you, depends on the early socialization). you would think I would have to watch the herding dog around the horses and chickens, but honestly, as far as Rileah is concerned, they do not even exist, I swear you can see the wheels turning "mama will be upset if I chase you, so you are NOT there" If you decide to go for an Aussie, do your research, check with different breeders and make sure you go with one that not only does all of the health checks, but also breeds the type(temperment and energy level) of dog you want (some have much higher energy levels than others and NEED a job, others are content to just be with you and have a couple of times a week run) I can't imagine not having an Aussie, but they aren't for everyone.

I have an Australian Sheperd/Border Collie mix. Her name is Zoey and she is 18 months old. She and her litter mates were rescued by a local firefighter. She is a very good dog. She loves to be around people and follows me everywhere. She is also great off leash too. She is a very smart little girl. Sometimes too smart for her own good. She needed something to occupy her mind as she was getting in trouble with her intellegence (ie: Digging holes in the yard, chewing a lot of things, Getting into things she wasn't suppose to ect.) I ended up giving her her own little "job" to do. Which was something called Dog Carting. Basically all it is is she pulls a cart behind her and transports things. Like today for instance, I loaded her cart up with firewood and she brought it up the the house for me (we have a woodstove). She has done three loads of firewood for me thus far today. She absoulutely LOVES dog carting. I will have to get a picture of her working for you.

84433_2011100112531210.jpg

84433_102_2602.jpg

Good Luck on your search for a purebreed Aussie. They are beautiful dogs!
thumbsup.gif

Maybe it's all of the ones I've been around, but I've been attacked (actually attacked, no warning bite) by 3 full-blooded Australian Shepherds.

Just another view on this. I'm not saying they're all bad, just giving a different view. I know that I won't even go near one now. It's the only breed that I am openly afraid of. Give me a pit bull any day.

We love our Aussie! She is so smart. Herds our chickens... took a little training because you can't herd chickens like sheep. She is great with family and friends but very unfriendly with strangers. What a play drive! She came from a family farm outside Lewisburg, PA.

We have two! Ginger is a red merle and she's 10 years old. She's my best buddy and follows me wherever she can. Riley is a tri and he's 4 months old, and he's got more energy than I ever thought a puppy could have! We recently found out that he's super smart -- only he's trying to masquerade as a dummy.
tongue.png
We trained him to ring a bell when he needs to go out to go potty, and it's such a good feeling of accomplishment when I hear that little tinkling sound. Right now we are working double time on socialization, and trying to divert his rough attentions away from the chickens.

Here's Ginger...
3796_img_0069.jpg

And here's Riley...
3796_riley.jpg

And yes, I have a thing for blue eyes...
love.gif

I love Aussies and will always have one by my side. They are the best in my opinion.
smile.png

Last edited:
I absolutely love Aussies, I had the pleasure of owning one. He was a gift from my hubby, a lady at his work bred them. He brings him home and it was love at first sight! So smart, so loving, so easy to train! Sadly, he had megasophagus and passed when he was only 9 months old from complications. We did try to adopt one of his older siblings, but it didn't work out, he was too rough with our cats. We loved Loki so much, and miss him so much more!!

This is Loki on the day I got him.
7354_loki.jpg

This is Loki right before we took him to the vets for the last time
hit.gif

7354_loki_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom