Any Bee Keepers out there?

Reinbeau, your golden jar of honey is fabulous! We were not mechanical either when we were keeping our bees--everything was done by hand, smoker, hive tool...I'll never forget standing over our kitchen sink, squeezing honey comb in new panty hose, wearing out my arms and hands, but ending up with jars and jars of beautiful strained honey. We also loved the comb honey and made many gifts of it to friends and family. Great memories from this thread. ~G

Quote:
Got it...

I was going to use some warped OSB, a coping saw, and a coffee can of rusty nails, but have revised my plans...
smile.png

Only joking, I'm pretty handy with the table saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
We tried to keep some alive we moved not to long ago the people were gonna kill them. So we had them in the house in a box and my mom came home and they were loose so she called my dad and told him he came home and used the shop vac and vaccumed them all up and then ejected them back in the box.
lol.png
They were fine for awhile but then they started dying off we gave up and plan on buying a hive from someone.

Emzyyy, no doubt that hive had no queen, that's why they died out.

Mac, have you seen the plans posted on Beesource? Since the spacing is critical I just wanted to offer you that resource. I know several beeks who have made their own equipment, it's not impossible, it's just precise. I'm sure your langs will turn out great!

Well the beekeeper we talked to said we moved them too late in the year and they couldn't adjust. I also don't think they liked the corn syrup he told us to feed to them.
hmm.png

Just wanted to also mention when I got started I joined the Bee Keepers Association in my state. Call your dept. of Ag. and get to know your apiary inspector... he/she will be a great source of information for knowledge of what is around your area.

Mine showed me how to test for mites with flour. He mailed me one of his used masks.
smile.png
Told me where I can find a local breeder... He'd been doing it since the 70's and knew right from the look and taste of mine that I had alfalfa honey...and plus the fact he spotted the alfalfa field across the cow pasture.
tongue.png

The dept. of ag. meetings here are 1x month about and it's a handful of people who show up and bring appetizers and listen to new info. about bees and products....share history...consult each other on problems they are having with their hives. It's a really great community. And there's a raffle and that's where I won my hive tool. woo hooo. They also have their own mini library that you can check out different books.

Maybe you can see what's in your area.

I've also been known to spot hives and pull into that persons yard and knock on their door and talk about beekeeping. SO FAR everyone has been really receptive. ha ha ha.

oh and at our local farmers markets... you'll find plenty of other local beekeepers. That's another way to find people with experience and some with extra hive boxes they are willing to sell or equipment they don't want any longer.... my husband was able to trade his handy man services for a capping knife, hive boxes, smoker, and a hand cranked honey extractor....and tons of veggies and fruit all summer long...and jars...among other things.

Me and my girls like to sit in the lawn off to the side of them and watch them come and go. I have mine near the road and most people don't know what they are and had no idea we had bees. I put them in the front pointing south because of the sun and also because the fields are that way and I have subdivisions butting up to my backyard.

One lady in the bee assoc. has 2 hives in her city lot and has no problems... I think she has built up bushes and flowers around them to somewhat conceal their identity.

Enjoy your new venture.

me,
g

Mac wasn't insulting your wood-working skills or anything if you took it that way. I was just warning you. I have made many beehive components and heard some bad stories from people who have tried it and not done it correclty. You can be a great wood-worker but still mess up a hive.

Quote:
Best way I keep ants out of mine. Place them on stands,with the legs in cans full of oil.

No expert on bees ,but do have a few. Left by my Father.

Bought a few boxes , and then made more. Like Sam said very important the measurment are right on..

Movement of air, plus proper spacing for the bees.

Back
Top Bottom