Any breed suggestions for protection?

cejones119

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
I lost my partridge silkie pair to something yesterday.
hit.gif
I'm thinking it was probably a cat. We have 5-6 foot fencing around the coop, one chicken was dead inside that area, the other was dead outside. Neither were remotely eaten and the only injuries were neck wounds. We've had someone's chubby house cat hanging around, darn things love killing for fun.
Needless to say, I won't be getting any more bantams for the time being. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what breed of hen might be helpful in protecting my flock. I currently have two easter egger mutts left. I know obviously a rooster will do the job, but I doubt the neighbors will be appreciative (it's a rather residential neighborhood). I need a big mean mamma hen! Though if she loves me but hates cats I won't complain.
smile.png

Standard Old English Games make really protective mothers, and are good at escaping predators. I doubt you'll find any hens that will stand up and fight something like a roo will though. Unless chicks are involved.

Well maybe just shear size will deter the cat. Blerg, part of me doesn't want to get more, I'm just so discouraged, but last time I only had two the girls started crowing.... So obviously they weren't feeling so confident. I'd love a hen that actually lays which is the other reason I'd rather not get a roo. The two I have left are always complaining about something, too hot, too cold, molting. I swear they only lay like 10 eggs a year and they're only 2 years old!

German shepherd. I really don't think hens or roosters can protect that well against your basic predators. If it really is a cat you are probably fine getting a rooster but the second a raccoon comes along that might be the end of that rooster.

I'm with cupman.... my chicks are safe as long as my Doberman 's in the yard. He was raised up with them and I trained him not to chase them. Now they follow him around the yard. When he comes inside... they go in the pen.

alot of people swear by Jack Russell Terriers - they will keep the smaller preds away or kill them. I don't tknow if they can handle a raccoon but, would think they would repel fox and anything smaller. You just have to find one and train one that won't go after your chickens. Their prey drive is very high. They are game as they come.

I can't imagine a certain breed of chicken/hen that would back down a determined and very large cat. Maybe an individual hen of any breed might be brave enough but I've never had one that would.

I actually had a cat that loved to chase the chickens for fun but would lie down and watch them run away after a short chase. I caught on to it and let him have a little fun now and again...finally he would do it on command. Whenever I had a few hens get out of the back yard I'd sic the cat on them and he'd chase them back over the gate.
lol.png

I did have a small RIR roo that would chase a cat away.

Best just to get a good yard dog that won't bother your chickens but will keep all other preds away.

Back
Top Bottom