Any BYC members from GALVESTON TEXAS???

Marty1876

Hi Everyone!
7 Years
Feb 5, 2012
Port Townsend, Washington
Thinking about moving to the area, really wanted the low down on life on the island. My Aunt lived there many years, but moved when I was in my late teens. I've always loved and remembered it. Can't make a move on rose colored memories, so how's life there? Can you find enough land to have birds? Are there reasonably secure from hurricane parts of the island?

well I don't live own the Island but close and have gone every summer for the past 45 yrs of my life.
As for hurricanes it would take a direct hit, there has been 2 or 3 in 80 yrs
As for fun oh yes. Summer is over ran by tourist, and winter is,quite ,boring and humid . The main
work is the medical field. UTMB University Texas Medical Branch, very big..
I could not say about burb chickens, the place has really grown and commercialized. Land not much on an Island
and what there is is high $ After Hurricane Rita hit 5 yrs ago they have rebuilt with a vengeance. The old laid back Island
is hard to find.
Then there is places on bothsides of the Island I'm to the East. Crystal Beach is just across the bay by ferry. It has the ocean side and the bay side. Many choose it because '. A cabin on the beach with a little land could still be had, I don't think it has all been grabed up yet, The Bay side is open and not heavy with restrictions..Then a little down the road is Winnie and it is farm community. It's 20 mins from the ocean and 40 min from the Island
Honestly in my opinion - for what it's worth the old times are long time passing ,
Oh and to the West would be between Houston and the Island, it still has some opportunities too.
You should consider a vacation - were going end of this month our annual yearly sabbatical. They have rebuilt the 1910 Pleasure Pier, with a rollercoaster and ferriswheel on the end out over the water; I really need to make the 45 min journey for one last thrill.
I hope talking to you has helped a little, it did me - it's sad for me to see my way of life going. While Houston grabes it all up and turns it it their playground. I after all liked the shabby cabins quite uncrowded beaches. Time marches on, they say for the best. That has yet to be proven to me - we had the good ole days - not sure what they and all there rules will have.

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I've noticed it's changed a bit. It's too bad, but you can't keep a sweet secret forever. We are going down over spring break, to take a peek. I'm not opposed to seeking a place on the mainland by the bay, thought wouldn't be terrible.

Back
Top Bottom