Any Carpenters on here? Need help with Framing Question....

Sledrock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Hello,

I am in the design, materials-gathering, stage for my hen house.

I'm planning a 12x12, 8' wall, shed-type roof for my house.

I found a great price on some used Big, slider windows, but am scratching my head on the best way to frame around them.

The longest one is 68 5/8" long x 35" tall, two are 52 5/8" long by 35" Tall, one is 52 5/8" long by 43" tall. (So the longest one would span 1/2 of my wall)

Should I use 4x4s since they are so long (hard to find ones untreated) or can I double-up on 2x4s? Would 2x4s provide enough strength on top and bottom for that length of span?

How would You Frame Them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would frame it with 2x4 on the bottom and sides and 2 2x6s on edge side by side with 1/2 plywood in between them on top. If there are any houses being framed near you go look at the windows and you will see what I mean if you can't visualize it.

Sledrock 2x4s will work just fine. Get a book on shed building or home construction and study the way they frame the huge picture windows,then visit a house under construction like tjweaver suggested. You can span a pretty large area by using double headers and extra post studs. The average home picture window is 6' to 8' wide and they stay secure for many years.

Larry

Quote:
Are the 2x4s on the SIDES Strong Enough to support the long 2 2x6s (with plywood) mounted above the window?

Thanks!

Are the 2x4s on the SIDES Strong Enough to support the long 2 2x6s (with plywood) mounted above the window?

Thanks!

yes just inside the opening put a 2x4 on each side to support the weight of the header. Here is a picture everything is 2x4 except the header at the top of the window which would be the 2x6s

60425_window.jpg

ETA: the gaps are just there to show individual boards. Adjust the studs above and below the window according to the size of the opening. sorry quality isn't the greatest but I made that up rather quickly in a program I haven't used in months. I also normally put another full height stud on on the outside of all this on each side and nailed to the window framing for added strength​

Last edited:
Sorry, one final question: Do you toe-nail the 2x4s in above and below the 6" header?

Thanks again! You guys were a big help! And a special thanks for the Picture!

Yeah I toe-nail as well as on the side boards nail them to the adjacent boards. I tend to use way too many nails though because I am paranoid the building will collapse if I forget one nail

TJWeaver84,

One thing I just thought of: Won't I need an Exterior Window Sill for rain to drain away from the window?

If so, do I make the vertical rough opening an inch (or so) bigger and install the sill on the bottom 2x4 and shim it from the inside so that it slants toward the ground, and then set the window on top of the sill?

If that's true, what size board would you use? 1x6, 1x8 etc??

Sorry for all the questions - I know this isn't supposed to be a "carpentry forum", but I am unfamiliar with the window part of building a hen house - and you certainly seem to know a lot about carpentry!

(I did a lot of searching on the web about sills, but couldn't find too much info that explained the process.)

Thanks again for your help and expertise! I promise not to be a pest.....

Back
Top Bottom