Any cast-iron lovers here?

Shura

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Rockport
I love cast iron cookware. I just got into it a little bit ago. In the last 3 months I got a 3 skillet set of Wagner ware, and yesterday I picked up #3, #6 and #9 Griswold nickel plated skillets. As guys on Wags forum say... it's an addiction and they seem to multiple.
So, anyone here collects or just plain loves old cast iron, besides me?

Oh, here are the new darlings. That's the Griswold ones. Need to be cleaned though

3705656360_1732d4aaf8.jpg

I love my Lodge iron skillets. I will not use non stick cookware due to the so called poison!

They will last so much longer than non sticking cookwares adn they can take the abuse better!

WooHoo. I'm not the only one.
So far I've been going after Wagner and Griswold, since I know those generally are excellent. Not much chance to cook in it yet though, since we're staying with in-laws, but I am a kitchen junkie. Can't wait till I get to really use them.

If I am not cooking on cast iron then I LOVE IT!
celebrate.gif

Seriously, I just don't think I'm that good a cook with cast iron. I tend to burn stuff too easily when using it. But it sure does make stuff taste wonderful doesn't it? Plus, it brings back nice memories, because my grandmother used to cook on cast iron all the time.

Love love mine, and with a Dad thats an antique dealer and me being a junk collector, Ive got quite a collection and have started one for each of my kids, we have all shapes and sizes and swear by them for cooking results. Makes the best homemade pizza crust, perfect crisp. We have some pieces that were extended family members, muffin pans, corn pone cookers, square fry, HUGE fry, deep fry, wok,griddles, hanging griddles.....we take pride in their condition. I agree who neds a non- stick when a well conditioned cast works just as well. Love their history.

love.gif
Cast Iron Corn Bread and a jar of homemade Blue Berry Jam.
love.gif

I have bought several pans over the years for Mom. She also got the pans from my Dad's parents' house after they had past. The 10 brothers and sisters went through that house like a tornado, but no one wanted the old cast iron. That set was at least 50 years old and has a fanastic layer of "curing" or what ever you call it.

My favorite is a 6 inch square skillet. Great for my 2 egg omelettes.

Matt

I don't have any of the old stuff (no one gives it up around here) so plain old Lodge's is fine with me. I even buy pre-seasoned since they season it the right way. Hate nonstick, won't use it.

Back
Top Bottom