Any chance any of these are roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fshinggrl, May 11, 2009.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ok, I ordered 7 EE's & 7 Silver wyandotte pullets.

I am questioning a couple of my Wyandottes, just based on combs. They SHOULD be 4 weeks old today. I should add that they all pretty much feathered out at the same rate. Here are my pictures.
    Here is the first head shot.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the same chicken.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a comparison of two combs. (excuse the EE in the foreground)
    [​IMG]
    And here is a Wyandotte with a smaller comb.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks! I wouldn't mind if we had ONE rooster, but there are a couple with a little bigger comb.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Anyone? Or am I asking too early. I"m just impatient!! [​IMG]

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    All the pictures you posted look like cockerals to me...
    Sorry [​IMG]

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    The first one does look like a roo to me. Does the other one have a rose comb? Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, but some (esp. hatchery birds) may have single combs. If you have some of each you won't be able to compare them based on comb size.

They're really pretty!

5. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG] Hmm.. I'm going to have to go out and try to count the larger combs now. Say it ain't so!

Thank you!

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Again, I'll say, don't count them as roos yet. I had GLWs that people insisted were roos, and they weren't. It seems as though the Wyandottes develop larger combs quickly, or something. Wait. By 16 weeks you will know.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    According to what I read if you order str they are usually 50/50. On the other hand if you hatched them yourself, "You can't hurry love, You just have to wait". Get it! [​IMG]

8. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Thanks.. I'm trying to be patient. I am not about to get rid of them quite yet!! Just trying to may my life interesting! I ordered all pullets. I know it isn't an exact science though.

9. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    In observing the chick behaviors tonight, I'd have to say that my questionable hen is very aggressive and high on the totem pole. I'd say I have two roos, if that is the case. The one that was pic'd heavy in my above post is pretty agressive. If I was a bettin' woman...

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Where did you order them from? I ordered pullets from Ideal and I haven't seen any that look the least bit like a rooster. They're 12 weeks now. I'd say it's a good chance they're hens. Some hatcheries only guarantee a 90% accuracy.
    Don't worry be happy.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by