Any chance any of these are roos?

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
Ok, I ordered 7 EE's & 7 Silver wyandotte pullets.

I am questioning a couple of my Wyandottes, just based on combs. They SHOULD be 4 weeks old today. I should add that they all pretty much feathered out at the same rate. Here are my pictures.
Here is the first head shot.
29942_img_5222_head.jpg

Here is the same chicken.
29942_img_5223_body.jpg

Here is a comparison of two combs. (excuse the EE in the foreground)
29942_img_5212_comparison.jpg

And here is a Wyandotte with a smaller comb.
29942_img_5214_head_small.jpg

Thanks! I wouldn't mind if we had ONE rooster, but there are a couple with a little bigger comb.

Last edited:
The first one does look like a roo to me. Does the other one have a rose comb? Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, but some (esp. hatchery birds) may have single combs. If you have some of each you won't be able to compare them based on comb size.

They're really pretty!

Again, I'll say, don't count them as roos yet. I had GLWs that people insisted were roos, and they weren't. It seems as though the Wyandottes develop larger combs quickly, or something. Wait. By 16 weeks you will know.

According to what I read if you order str they are usually 50/50. On the other hand if you hatched them yourself, "You can't hurry love, You just have to wait". Get it!
lol.png

Thanks.. I'm trying to be patient. I am not about to get rid of them quite yet!! Just trying to may my life interesting! I ordered all pullets. I know it isn't an exact science though.

In observing the chick behaviors tonight, I'd have to say that my questionable hen is very aggressive and high on the totem pole. I'd say I have two roos, if that is the case. The one that was pic'd heavy in my above post is pretty agressive. If I was a bettin' woman...

Quote:
Where did you order them from? I ordered pullets from Ideal and I haven't seen any that look the least bit like a rooster. They're 12 weeks now. I'd say it's a good chance they're hens. Some hatcheries only guarantee a 90% accuracy.
Don't worry be happy.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom