Any Chance??

I will say that my smaller guys are far more scrappy than my big guys. The bantams are relentless in fighting. My original bachelor Flock has 3 roosters. Two large marans/Crested Cream Legbar crosses and one Barred Rock. The Barred Rock is noticeably smaller but was 2nd in charge. There was a recent change in pecking order as he was unable to hold onto his spot and is now at the bottom of the pecking order. As long as he doesn't try to start something, they all get along really well and sleep snuggled up to each other on the roosts every night. If BR does try to do something he shouldn't, he is reprimanded/reminded and they quickly move on.

Well the boys are getting a little rapey so.....
Roosters are always rapey. That's just how they do their thing. They do get more polite about it as they mature, though. If you want to keep both of the roos, I would either separate them and give them a bachelor pad or I would get lots more hens. If you want to keep only one, I'd wait and determine which is the best fit for the flock. Then I'd rehome one and get some more hens.

I personally would find a good home for both cockerels. Separate and free range might just bring on the ‘quick while I have a chance’ mindset and it get ugly.
The right cockerel and two females could be manageable IMHO.
People here are not exactly in the Rooster market but I can try to at least get rid of one. It’s a struggle because my daughter adores the Plymouth Rock (he lets her snuggle him) but my husband is all about the other one (I forget his breed). They may just both end up missing 💁🏻‍♀️.

They are absolutely beautiful and my girl is totally in love with them. But..... they don’t produce eggs, are extremely loud, and are kind of rapey 😂
She is in love with him. He looks so much like my Le'Shawn! Thankfully my boys aren't mean when they're being held, so my daughter is so happy whenever I get them for her to hold. She looks just as happy as your daughter when holding our BR, Le'Shawn. You're absolutely correct, there is no reason to keep the boys if you don't want fertilized eggs, but I'm going to bet that your daughter makes a strong argument to keep them (because she loves them).

I should add that out of my 3 boys, 2 of them are complete and total jerks. The BR is probably the meanest one. I will say that some of the reason for their human aggression is on me though. I didn't know how to act around them. I have since tried to improve our relationship but I can't expect my 9 year old to revamp her way of thinking and her confidence level around them. That's too much for a lot of adults.

I will say that my smaller guys are far more scrappy than my big guys. The bantams are relentless in fighting. My original bachelor Flock has 3 roosters. Two large marans/Crested Cream Legbar crosses and one Barred Rock. The Barred Rock is noticeably smaller but was 2nd in charge. There was a recent change in pecking order as he was unable to hold onto his spot and is now at the bottom of the pecking order. As long as he doesn't try to start something, they all get along really well and sleep snuggled up to each other on the roosts every night. If BR does try to do something he shouldn't, he is reprimanded/reminded and they quickly move on.
Did I get the breed wrong 😂😂. Do I have a Plymouth Rock or a Barred rock. I’m a teacher so maybe I just put Plymouth in there. Y’all, I’m not NOT a chicken expert. It’s kind of embarrassing at this point. My little one has spurs and is scrappy but he is so tiny!

She is in love with him. He looks so much like my Le'Shawn! Thankfully my boys aren't mean when they're being held, so my daughter is so happy whenever I get them for her to hold. She looks just as happy as your daughter when holding our BR, Le'Shawn. You're absolutely correct, there is no reason to keep the boys if you don't want fertilized eggs, but I'm going to bet that your daughter makes a strong argument to keep them (because she loves them).
She absolutely adores him! He has been her baby since fluff. I knew he was a Roo because he had tiny T-Rex wings but she just fell in love. Now I’m building an additional coop and dealing with all the drama because of her love for a rooster 🤦🏻‍♀️. Crazy chicken math.... 4 chickens = 2 expensive coops and an 11 year old who will fight for them all. She thinks getting 20 additional hens is quite reasonable 😂

Back
Top Bottom