Any Chemists? Need advice. Did something really stupid

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KristyHall, Feb 11, 2014.

  1. KristyHall

    KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

    5,047
    177
    288
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Four words. Cat urine and Bleach.

    It was really bad. The ferals had a party in the bathroom I put them in because of the nasty weather. I cleared them out and had to dump everything out of the cat box but it was soaked all the way to the bottom with urin. I mean soaked. Without thinking about it I tossed a splash of bleach on it. ( I know I KNOW, but I wasn't thinking clearly!) It started to fizz and fumes exploded forth. The instant the bleach hit the urin I threw open the window and fled. I stuffed a blanket under the door and now I'm afraid to return.

    I'm coughing my head off now and my nose and eyes are burning.

    Anyone know how long it will clear out? I really really really do not want to breath in mustard gas. I have this thing about wanting to live.


    Corrected because I can't count. [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Bunnylady

    Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

    17,334
    2,518
    421
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Holy Cow, Kristy![​IMG]

    How long ago did you do this? A little goes a long way with that stuff; you sure you are OK?

    If you are still coughing, this is not the time to go back in (obviously). Leaving the window open for a while longer won't kill you; exposure to that stuff might. I'd wait until you can breathe and see reasonably well, then stay only long enough to get water running to flush it down the drain.
     
  3. KristyHall

    KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

    5,047
    177
    288
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I posted this right after it happened. I still have a tickle but I was leaning over it when I did that, and now the skin on my face is a little red and burns slightly like I had a sun burn. I think I'll sneak back in come morning and finish up.
     
  4. drumstick diva

    drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

    84,747
    14,649
    816
    Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Years ago my father found a roll of pennies - they were all corroded. He put them in the laundry tub with bleach. When that didn't work he poured Muriatic acid on them., and broke into severe coughing spasms. I told him to go to the e/r but, you "never" told my father anything. He was a chemist in his earlier years but, this kinda thing was par for the course with him.

    I opened all the windows, grabbed my son and stayed outside for hours. My father was furious that now the coins had lost all their markings, and he threw them in the trash, coughing all the way. He made it to 90 in the nursing home
     
    1 person likes this.
  5. punk-a-doodle

    punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,953
    118
    213
    Apr 15, 2011
    Had a bird keeper nearly pass out the same way, only it was ammonia from bird droppings mixing with bleach. Cat pee seems like it'd be even worse! Glad you are okay. I would open some windows and the bathroom door while you spend some time outside...then I'd go to the store and buy some vinegar to clean with in the future.
     
  6. KristyHall

    KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

    5,047
    177
    288
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I usually clean with vinegar, I was just not thinking. It was a really dumb move on my part. I slipped in the bathroom a few minutes ago and quickly rinsed out the cat box with some water then ducked out again. i'll let it air out over night then finish up in the morning. Now i have some less than civil cats wandering around my house. I expect to wake up with a mess.
     
  7. KristyHall

    KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

    5,047
    177
    288
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Isn't usually the stubborn ones that live long? My uncle has smoked for nearly 70 years, has emphysema, still smokes, just had four aneurysms work on and eye laser surgery (all at 78) and is still kicking. He is an onry fellow who can't be told what to do either. He still drives, still uses the tractor, still raises chickens and keeps a garden. My father is 74 still smokes, have multiple heart attacks and gets around better than my uncle. I would not be surprised if they out lived all of us.
     
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  8. Godsgrl

    Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

    1,992
    14
    198
    Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Next time, clean the cat box outside if you plan on using bleach!
     
  9. Chickerdoodle13

    Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

    6,821
    325
    331
    Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You should be ok to go in after 24 hours.

    You can use bleach on litter boxes (Not a terrible idea for disinfecting, but its best to rinse the box first with water and then dilute the bleach (Something like 10 parts water to 1 part bleach usually works). I've done dumb things too without thinking, so it happens! I am glad you are ok though. Vinegar is a pretty good alternative! If you start to have difficulty breathing or the burning sensation gets worse, I would definitely visit the ER!
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by