Any chicken coops for under $75?

Takeylla

Songster
Oct 8, 2018
USA, South Carolina
I’m looking for something I could put 5-15 bantams in and I’m looking forward to getting some chicks this year. I raised chickens in the past before I went into foster care and I had 18 chickens, 3 ducks, and 2 geese at that time. I always enjoyed owning chickens and other fowl and I’m looking forward to getting some this year if I can. That would be a blessing and I would be so happy to get me some bantams this year.
I live in South Carolina, so I’ll need a coop that’ll be shipped here or close enough for me to pick it up. My foster mom said if I could get a coop or build a coop and get the supplies for them, I can get some baby chicks this year! I don’t have a car or anything so my foster parents will take me to get what I need, my problem is my budget and they’ll help with only getting my chickens food they said, since I don’t have a job and I’m still in school. So if anyone has any let me know, I’m interested.

Try craigslist and letgo first. You may get lucky. Otherwise, look around for discarded items that you can repurpose. An old shipping crate, pallets, plywood, etc can all be found free fairly easily from time to time localy and can make a decent bantam coop. It's also fairly easy to turn a child's playhouse into a coop, so you may want to see if there are cheap used ones locally.

Unfortunately, $75 won't go very far in buying a pre-fabricated coop. Certainly nothing capable of housing that many birds. If you are resourceful and a little bit handy, you can probably put something together using repurposed materials that you can find for free if you search pallet and coop on this site, there are a few examples of what folks have done on a shoestring budget. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/easy-and-almost-free-chicken-coop.1225361/

This post could be good inspiration for you. If you can find some sturdy pallets you only need to buy minimal materials. Ask at businesses around your town, look on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace (maybe put your own ISO ad) for businesses getting rid of pallets. Unfortunately building a run area for them to get out in during the day is a bit more costly. Plan ahead, make a budget, save up some money, and build your coop before you buy your chicks!

Good luck, as the others have said buying second hand and repurposing is going to be the best way forward for you. Look forward to hearing what you come up with - make sure you take some pics for us. You could also try putting a wanted ad on Craigslist or similar explaining your project. There are some lovely people around you may find just what you need.

Rather than looking for a ‘coop’ try looking for other things such as an old shed, pallets etc
We’ve used an old wooden playhouse which we picked up for next to nothing.
Old coops still seem to be sold for a lot of money

Back
Top Bottom