Any clue about my new rooster?

tilaterese

Hatching
Aug 8, 2016

Just got this rooster, he's super sweet, I heard his comb type is rare and the lady I got him from said a friend told her he's a game roo which apparently meant often used for fighting?? He's a sweetheart, and I know nothing about breeds, but was hoping to hatch out some eggs between him and my speckled sussex. I just hope he's not any breed that would lessen egg production with new chicks? I don't have a clue about these things!
1f61d.png
Any info is appreciated! TIA!

Last edited:
sorry I am drawing a complete blank - his comb reminds me of a helicopter ready to take off. I don't know how he could possibly lessen egg production unless he smashes eggs and eats them. LOL. If he is sweet to you and hens, he is worth keeping.

it almost resembles a buttercup comb, compare some pics of your bird with a Sicilian buttercup. Looking at the pics you have posted and judging by the comb and white ear lobe, it very well could be.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm thinking there's some Polish a generation or so back. Polish have the V comb. I've not worked with the breed or crosses myself, but he could be a Polish x straight comb x straight comb, something like that. Mixed with game bird seems reasonable.

Unfortunately, the speckling on your Sussex is recessive. Breeding those two birds are going to give you basically red chicks.

Back
Top Bottom