Any clue about my new rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tilaterese, Aug 13, 2016.

1. tilaterese

tilaterese New Egg

Aug 8, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Just got this rooster, he's super sweet, I heard his comb type is rare and the lady I got him from said a friend told her he's a game roo which apparently meant often used for fighting?? He's a sweetheart, and I know nothing about breeds, but was hoping to hatch out some eggs between him and my speckled sussex. I just hope he's not any breed that would lessen egg production with new chicks? I don't have a clue about these things! [​IMG] Any info is appreciated! TIA!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. tilaterese

tilaterese New Egg

Aug 8, 2016
    [​IMG]
    I'm just going to add a couple more pics if that helps..[​IMG][/IMG]

3. tilaterese

tilaterese New Egg

Aug 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry I am drawing a complete blank - his comb reminds me of a helicopter ready to take off. I don't know how he could possibly lessen egg production unless he smashes eggs and eats them. LOL. If he is sweet to you and hens, he is worth keeping.

5. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    it almost resembles a buttercup comb, compare some pics of your bird with a Sicilian buttercup. Looking at the pics you have posted and judging by the comb and white ear lobe, it very well could be.

6. PhoenixFan

PhoenixFan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2016
    Northern Illinois
    I agree. Based off my experience, the buttercup comb is usually dominant, so most of his offspring will most likely have his comb.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking there's some Polish a generation or so back. Polish have the V comb. I've not worked with the breed or crosses myself, but he could be a Polish x straight comb x straight comb, something like that. Mixed with game bird seems reasonable.

Unfortunately, the speckling on your Sussex is recessive. Breeding those two birds are going to give you basically red chicks.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Mixed breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by