Any clue as to the strain/source of these courtnix quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fishforbrains, Mar 29, 2018.

1. fishforbrains

fishforbrains Chirping

Oct 4, 2015
    Last year my local feed store had some courtnix chicks for sale, so I bought some. They have turned out to be extremely prolific egg layers, and although the birds are slightly smaller than my Jumbo Browns, their eggs are larger. I have no idea what strain they are: they are white with a brown spot on the top of their heads and are a lot fiestier and more active than the Jumbo Browns. I need to replace 5 Jumbo Brown hens who have completely stopped laying. The feed store said they weren't planning to sell any quail chicks this year and didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Any thoughts on the strain/possible source so I can order some hatching eggs from them?

OF65 likes this.
  2. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    Probably Texas a&m or english whites. if white with head spot.

If you can post a pic or 2 for better id.

3. The white with a spot of brown, combined with the "larger" eggs is classic/textbook description of Texas A&M. Since those are a more "commercial" variety as well, it makes sense that a feed store would have them. I would put my money on Texas A&M.

4. fishforbrains

fishforbrains Chirping

Oct 4, 2015
    0329181552-00.jpg 0329181551-00.jpg

5. fishforbrains

fishforbrains Chirping

Oct 4, 2015
    Yup, that is them. Thanks! Any good hatching egg sources recommendations for Texas A&M? Keep in mind I keep them for eggs, not meat (except the roosters).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: