Any clue on this chick?

If she’s a Black Jersey Giant, we will all have a good laugh here. She’s so small now! About 1/4 of the size of the others. Everyday I’m afraid she’s just going to die 😂, which would be heartbreaking. We all love her
Ah a cutie! Feed him/her well with a full crop every bedtime. Might be from a parent that’s a smaller breed and have the late feathering gene.
***Edited to add, I started with Black Australorps from Dare to Dream Farm. Those had no yellow at all. Solid black eyes, pink combs and black legs including undersides of feet.

Last edited:
Ah a cutie! Feed him/her well with a full crop every bedtime. Might be from a parent that’s a smaller breed and have the late feathering gene.
The chicks have a food bowl that’s filled continuously throughout the day. Plus, I always dump a pile right in front of her, probably 5 times per day. She’s a sweet little thing.

Could be a BSL or possibly an Australorp. Those yellow shanks are throwing me though.

@TheOddOneOut @Rhodebar Lover, what do y'all see?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Asian Black! The shanks seem to be a bit too yellow to be a Jersey Giant (definitely not ruled out though) and it could still be a BSL, I would *think* we would see more red. Since these guys are mutts their appearance can vary a bit this bird is certainly in breed appearance constraints. They also have the mature weight (according to Hoover) of 5 lb rooster/ 4 lb hen which is on the smaller side. I'm honestly not sure if Asian Blacks and BSL are even distinguishable, but they are listed as a pound smaller so that's my guess 😎

What do you feed them? Is there any possibility she is nutrient deficient? Do the other chicks chase her away from the food? Her small size could be her breed, but maybe there is another cause.
They eat non-medicated Purina Start and Grow chick crumbles. They are still in our laundry room so we all keep a good eye on them. They have a big bowl of food that I continuously fill throughout the day, plus I always dump a pile right in front of Olive, in her favorite hangout corner. I can feel a small crop throughout the day and every night before bed 🤷🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom