Any clues on what breed and gender

Mountain Girl

I'm a newbie. Never thought I'd swoon over chickens. This afternoon three of them jumped up and settled in at the nape of my neck for a siesta.

This is Mountain Girl, the first of our 6 (3 barred rock, 2 gold laced, and her) to get a name. We bonded right away, and I still can't crouch down without her jumping on my shoulder or head. She's supposed to be SLW, but, she doesn't look at all like our 2 gold laced Wyandottes. She's much bigger, and her legs seem thicker. She turned red and got waddles early, while none of our other birds have. And, her feather patterns looks different.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want her to be a roo, but we like her so well we'd keep her anyway.

x2 = times 2

The next person agreed with what the previous person said about your chicken being a silver laced wyandotte cockerel.

A couple things I was told growing up:
1. The only dumb question is the 1 not asked.
2. If you don't know, ask someone.

That's sweet. I WAS feeling a little foolish.

Looks like Mountain Girl is really a boy, but we may just keep the name. It suits him. He's absolutely the most lovey bird--sits on my shoulder and preens my hair. I'm guessing my breeder sensed we'd make a good home for him.

I see you just lost your rooster. I'm sorry, you must be sad.

Can you answer me this: Do rooster pecks always hurt, or does it just depend on the bird? Right now it feels really good, like preening, not attacking.

I gotta think it depends on the bird. I have 2 1/2 week Anconas that love me to pieces...literally. They like to peck the palm of my hand and are pretty aggressive doing it, then jump into it for a ride up to the top floor. Then I have Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons that like to peck my freckles but are gentle about it.

Yes, Mr Rooster is missed. Not just by me, by our little community.

Not all roosters pecks hurt. It really depends on the bird. I have 4 roosters 7 weeks old. Peckerhead tries to draw blood when he pecks you. The other 3 you barely even feel.

Back
Top Bottom