Any comments about the $20 Chick Bator?

tallyho

Songster
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
Will it satisfy my need to hatch? Here's my thinking...get a small, maybe not so easy to work incubator so I'm not overrun with chickens because it'll be so hard to manage and with not the best hatch percentages. (I live in the city! But I have friends who will take any extras off my hands) It's only $20 + 8 shipping. Or will I be placing an order for a $500 job 6 months from now?
big_smile.png

Quote:
What kind of incubator are you referring to, one of those plastic domes with a yellow bottom and clear top with a lightbulb inside or something else?

I've looked at those too, so I'm interested in seeing your responses. I'm almost terrified to get one, (yet still longing) and become another victim of chicken math!

Quote:
I originally bought one of those cheapies off of eBay and it was a complete waste of time and money. For not much more, you can buy a REAL incubator and get REAL, reliable results. I bought a Brinsea Mini Advance (has an auto turner). It's basically plug-and-play. No fidgeting with humidity or temperatures, it does it all for you! I've had great results with mine (obviously shipped eggs are a gamble, but I have 100% hatch rates with my own fertile eggs).

Just get a good one, reasonably priced and have fun. Chicken math is what it's all about!!! (and hey, you've got co-conspirators to help you out, so it's that much easier to justify!)

DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!

You will regret it. How they heatit is a little piece od aluminum foil with a nite light in a little milk jug with a clear bowl over it. Literally. You could make one your self real easy for about $5. Night light-$1 roll of aluminum foil-$2 and glue-$2. But please don't buy this. Just wasting your money. I have the one form TSC. Works just fine and it can fit alot more eggs Good luck!

I hatched out 3 chicks in one of those, and after moving the bulb a dozen times, and moving the foil 2 dozen times, the dome kept falling off when they were hatching. It works if you want your blood pressure to go up
sad.png
For $20 more, the little giant or the hovabator would be better. They sell the auto turner, but I hand turn mine anyway.
big_smile.png

I think I'll let my older son try to build one. Maybe he can get some kind of credit for it in boy scouts. Looks like I'll have to start thinking about another coop....
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom