Any experience with Pomeranians?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Zahboo, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I couldn't think of a section for this, but she's my family, my lil baby.

Grace is my 2 year old Pom. She's hyper and has always had a harsh raspy cough. My stepmom keeps saying HEART WORMS HEARTWORMS take her to the vet. I personally am thinking it's collapsed trachea. My cairn terrier mix gets it all the time. I think grace gets it all the time because she runs wide open all day.

I am taking her to the vet for her rabies vaccination next week. I was going to bring it up then. I can't afford heartworm treatment, I can get her on preventatives when I get money for her to be tested. Please no preaching about don't get a dog if you can't afford vet care. I'm a teen with no job, and the dog was bough and they said they'd help with vaccinations. I've paid every vet bill. She's a puppy mill puppy. We found that out this year. She has a few minor health issues. She's pretty good though. Any opinions.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a pom and mine does the same thing...with the neck they don't have the strong membrane protection as a large dog would (collapses when wearing collars or walking on leash) and mine has a cough all the time too. Vet told me it was from walking on a leash and wearing collars. I took mine off and he is doing much better. As soon as I put the collar back on he starts up again. I was told to get the chest collar thing and that works for him [​IMG]

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    She wears a flea collar and a regular collar. I took off both collars and I'll see how she does. If she does better, I'll buy her a harness.

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have a 13-14 year old Pom (rescued from the pound) and she has the same cough. My old girl is still a spunky little thing and we love her dearly. Hope you enjoy yours as much! [​IMG]

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have one and she isn't like that at all.

Good luck with yours [​IMG]

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Her appointment is at 1 on Monday. [​IMG]

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I hope she is ok. Ask them about the collar thing for sure. Is she doing any better since you took them off? Let us know the results ok.

8. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    We had one with a collapsed trachea that did that, and an overweight one who did it also. But given your location heartworms are a concern.

Hope it all turns out okay!

-Cindy in MA

9. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Songster

When we were dirt poor and living where heartworm was a problem I bought Ivermectin for worming cattle. Dirt cheap and enough for many many months of use. It'll run you less then twenty bucks and for a dog as small as a Pom you should be able to dose the dog with a piece a third the size of a jelly bean. Everyone is poor once in a while.

10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks Songster

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I have a dachshund that does this. She's done it ever since she was a pup and when I took her to the vet and asked, I was told that she was trying to find her voice. [​IMG]

I still have no diagnosis why this happens. It seems to happen when she's excited though and all that I could think myself that would cause this would be that perhaps she has a cleft pallet which would affect her breathing. ETA - she's almost 9 years old now and still does it and she's otherwise healthy.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: