Any experience with Pomeranians?

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I couldn't think of a section for this, but she's my family, my lil baby.

Grace is my 2 year old Pom. She's hyper and has always had a harsh raspy cough. My stepmom keeps saying HEART WORMS HEARTWORMS take her to the vet. I personally am thinking it's collapsed trachea. My cairn terrier mix gets it all the time. I think grace gets it all the time because she runs wide open all day.

I am taking her to the vet for her rabies vaccination next week. I was going to bring it up then. I can't afford heartworm treatment, I can get her on preventatives when I get money for her to be tested. Please no preaching about don't get a dog if you can't afford vet care. I'm a teen with no job, and the dog was bough and they said they'd help with vaccinations. I've paid every vet bill. She's a puppy mill puppy. We found that out this year. She has a few minor health issues. She's pretty good though. Any opinions.

I have a pom and mine does the same thing...with the neck they don't have the strong membrane protection as a large dog would (collapses when wearing collars or walking on leash) and mine has a cough all the time too. Vet told me it was from walking on a leash and wearing collars. I took mine off and he is doing much better. As soon as I put the collar back on he starts up again. I was told to get the chest collar thing and that works for him
big_smile.png

She wears a flea collar and a regular collar. I took off both collars and I'll see how she does. If she does better, I'll buy her a harness.

I have a 13-14 year old Pom (rescued from the pound) and she has the same cough. My old girl is still a spunky little thing and we love her dearly. Hope you enjoy yours as much!
smile.png

We had one with a collapsed trachea that did that, and an overweight one who did it also. But given your location heartworms are a concern.

Hope it all turns out okay!

-Cindy in MA

When we were dirt poor and living where heartworm was a problem I bought Ivermectin for worming cattle. Dirt cheap and enough for many many months of use. It'll run you less then twenty bucks and for a dog as small as a Pom you should be able to dose the dog with a piece a third the size of a jelly bean. Everyone is poor once in a while.

I have a dachshund that does this. She's done it ever since she was a pup and when I took her to the vet and asked, I was told that she was trying to find her voice.
roll.png

I still have no diagnosis why this happens. It seems to happen when she's excited though and all that I could think myself that would cause this would be that perhaps she has a cleft pallet which would affect her breathing. ETA - she's almost 9 years old now and still does it and she's otherwise healthy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom