any experience with runt pigs?

Quote:
As a general statement, this is good advice. Use to work for a breeder (largest in world at time), when F.E. and Growth rate were considered, they always cost you money vs healthy brothers/sisters.

My runts have always caught up and they make awesome mothers. My cousin just raised one a little while ago and she had a bigger litter than her sister who was bigger than her for most of her life. Was there a lot of pigs in the pen or was it just those two? If so give her some time she may just have been the unlucky one that could not get as much to eat.

i have never had any luck with runts! but that is alright they all taste the same!
big_smile.png

Quote:
No, it was a full litter. This one was pushed out and was bottle fed to keep alive.

I know one thing, she may not be as big as her sister but she sure can eat!! I don't think she's stopped eating since we got her. But, that opens a whole other part of the story (breeder not feeding properly...poor pigs
sad.png
) Anyway, they both have a good home now and have adapted well.

No, it was a full litter. This one was pushed out and was bottle fed to keep alive.

This could be your answer. She is a runt because she wasn't fed like the rest of the litter. She has some catching up to do, but might be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom