Any first timer want to start with me? Eggs go in 4/1. ;)

I have one hatched and nothing else on my 6 maran eggs.
sad.png
I've got my fingers crossed there will be something when I get home.
fl.gif

Of my 10 eggs:

Fuzzy (we named the eggs) is coming along just fine- it's pecking and chirping and the crack is getting longer.

Hollister pecked a hole through the egg. We can actually see him/her. But she isn't making it much larger.

Jesse pipped at 8am and there is no change whatsoever. I'm a bit concerned.

Gilbert just pipped.

The rest are still thinking about whether they want to join our busy household.

I have ducks and silkies in the bator. This is my first time too. It is not hard to stabilize the temp and humidity so far. I have 22 ducks and 14 Silkies. I hope at least half of them hatch. The Silkies should start about May 12th.

Hey Ginger, I heard that humidity levels for ducks must be much higher than for chickens. I never hatched ducks and only tried silkie chickens once, but I came across a thread on here about not putting them together in the bator. Not trying to discourage you, just wasn't sure if you were aware or not. I am just a newbie. I hope your hatch goes well and keep us posted!
thumbsup.gif

Still waiting on day 22. Starting think I have a genetic malfunction in my chickens....2nd attempt to hatch, all start to develop...then never hatch. I did have issues early on with this hatch (power outage that messed up the thermostat on day 2 didn't notice thermostat issue til day 4 or 5), but at least 2 had developed beyond those problems. Still holding out hope for 2 more days

Hang in there Suess hens. Since your temp was low for a couple days, that'll delay the growth of the chick and makes them hatch a couple days late. I'd wait til day 24-25 and see what happens. I can't wait to start another hatch after my baby's born. Anytime now!!! Hopefully I will have a better hatch than the first one!

We got our first chick hatched!!!!!

It is jumping up and down on its siblings' eggs causing more cracks in them! The kids are fighting over who gets to look at it and whose chick it is. I never imagined the joy this would bring.

BTW Suess Hens: I am on day 22, too. Late in the day on day 22 and I only have had one chick hatch yet. But I hope to have more. Several others are certainly alive. We can hear peeping and pecking in some of them when we put them to our ears. Then sometimes they must be sleeping since they are silent for a while. Can you hear anything when you put the eggs up to your ear?

yeah! I went out at 8am and one was chirping but no pip, went out at 3, it was pipping, went out now (8:30 pm) and I have 2 chickes under momma! They must have snuck in quick. The one that hatched last night didnt make it, looking at the difference I think it was a little early. There was a 3rd tonight that I helped a little, the membrane was like paper and it was about 2/3 out. But I dont know, its abdomen looks very distended, it cant seem to get upright. We'll see in the am what happens but Im so happy she came thru for me and is being a good momma so far. 5 more to go. Tomorrow will be 23 days, So I guess I should give up on the rest if they dont hatch by then?

5945_dscn1369.jpg

I purposely don't spend much time staring in my incubator because it will only drive me nuts. And I have that whole fear of opening her up and taking one out to listen. I have stuck my ear up against the incubator, but I think I just look stupid doing that.
I am sitting and waiting! I check the temp and humidity three times a day. And just keep reminding myself that with the wacky start that I can expect a delay...and that mother nature always plays by her own rules!

Back
Top Bottom