Any first timer want to start with me? Eggs go in 4/1. ;)

Quote:
You may not need that many, but somewhere those little chickens got the idea that you wanted that many.
wink.png

Browneyebuttafly- Thanks fir starting this thread!

Did anyone order vaccines for their chicks? I forgot to order vaccines and I'm not sure what and where to order. My local feed store doesn't carry anything. I would hate for the chicks to get sick.

Murray McMurry doesn't sell them. At least I didn't see it there.

Actually 'xpButtercup' started this thread. Thanks Buttercup!
I don't vaccinate my chicks. I did give them medicated feed as chicks. Some people vaccinate for Mericks disease. There are tons of diseases out there, and vaccinations for most of them. I'm not sure where you would get the vaccinations though. Maybe the feed store? I know its recommended to get some vaccinations depending where you live due to lots of mosquitos. You would have to research it, Im sure they have answers on BYC also.

Heres a link I found that has alot of information regarding vaccines and whether you should or shouldn't do it. Along with the many diseases and what to watch out for. Hope it helps!

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS030

Also, off the subject of vaccinations....I put a little cider vinegar in my chickens water to keep them from picking at each other. It really helps. You don't need alot. I don't measure but I probably only put about 6 tbsp per gallon maybe? I have only had chickens for about a year, but never vaccinated and never had a problem...except for predators

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops. Thanks xpButtercup!

The vaccine link was great. I actually called a vet today who specializes in birds to ask about vaccines. They don't carry them but told me to call UCONN. (go Huskies!)

The guy at UCONN told me the same thing that the article said. He didn't seem to worry about vaccinating. I have a small flock of 5 chickens and 5-7 chicks. I don't plan to show them.

He did mention that if I 'hang out with other flocks' that I should treat myself as a possible hazard. Wash self, clothes, etc before handling my own chickens. I was kind of giggling about hanging out with other flocks, but then he explained that included visiting the local fair, etc.

He wasn't ruling out the possibility of anything happening to my chickens, but said that my chances of a problem are extremely low. I guess I'll pass on the vaccines.

Yeah, thats why I never got the vaccines. Besides having to buy them in bulk, I only have 6 'mutt' chickens right now. I usually don't go anywhere that has any other chickens and if I do go to a farm I do wash thoroughly before handling my own. Now if I had very expensive chickens or a huge flock that I made money from (eggs, meat) then I would get vaccinations. I don't ever plan on having 1,000's of chickens but hey............. you never know..they are addicting!
ya.gif
celebrate.gif

I lost track of this post. But I've come looking for it as some of my eggs are now hatching! I set 36 and have 8 out of the shell and looking good. Its a day early - hoping to have more.

Can I open the bator to take the babies out without it harming the unhatched eggs? A couple that hatched this morning are getting very active in there, rolling other eggs around, pecking the newer hatchlings, etc. I'd like to get them out and put them under a heat lamp.

Vaccines...
I got Marek's vaccine from Jeffers. It cost $18, including shipping and ice pack. When the hatch is finished, I'm going to vaccinate these chicks and some others I have that are 3 weeks old.

The complete list of poultry vaccines Jeffers carries is listed here:

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...2UN51R7GM3F4RS00WE&BrowseList=338&dept_id=473

Congrats to everyone who's now got babies!
smile.png

26948_p1090813.jpg

OMG OMG SO HAPPY we have our first pip. I am so eggsited i was looking in bator said man i wish you guys would just pip and zip . Then 10 mins later i kid you not kids were in kitchen i looked in and this is what i saw. A tiny piece of the egg is off butt only a very very tiny hole the rest of the whole is still white. I hope this is the norm i started cheaping at chick and OMG it cheaped bk and moved kids started freaking out going that is so cool. Keeping fingers crossed she makes it. I also have eggs due on May 1. This is my first time hatching.

Starry who will be getting no sleep

Last edited:
as if today I have 6 hatched and 4 survived, its day 24 and one is pipping but its been all day, I dont know if it will make it out.

Back
Top Bottom