Any Gluten Free Cooks?

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
Anyone else have a gluten allergy and love to cook? I absolutely love to cook! I make all of my own gluten free foods completely from scratch and enjoy experimenting to create my own recipes. This thread is for sharing pictures, recipes or anything involving your gluten free creations!

Here are some pictures of my favorites that I have made⬇️

Perogies
PXL_20220508_164135931~3.jpg

Sesame Maple Chicken
PXL_20221003_222715673~2.jpg

Dutch Pot Pie
PXL_20220328_233445599~3.jpg

Pizza Stuffed Pretzels
IMG_20201105_140044.jpg

Crispy Chicken Nuggets
PXL_20221004_015714002.MP~3.jpg

Pizza
PXL_20220929_220656921~2.jpg

Last edited:
@HollowOfWisps, pleeeeeeeze share your pizza dough recipe....?

I miss pizza, and it would be nice to have something GF that maybe picky nonGF hubby would like.

Does anyone know what the different flours are best suited for? Why would you pick, say, almond flour versus rice flour for a specific application?
Here is a good article from Beyond Celiac that lists different gluten free flours and their uses.
https://www.beyondceliac.org/gluten-free-diet/baking/intro-to-flour/

I like to use a mix of different gluten free flours and starches for most of my recipes. I have found that just using a single type of flour without adding a starch or another flour just doesn't give me that perfect texture that I'm trying to copy from the non gluten free versions. For example, my pizza dough I use a mix of white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and xanthine gum. I was mixing my own, but then I found a brand called "Divided Sunset" that Walmart carries which contains the same mix. I still like to mix my own, but I have grown really fond of not having to go through the extra work and just grab a bag of Divided Sunset at Walmart. The best part is it's only $4.99 a bag which is by far the absolute cheapest I have ever found for a pre-mixed gluten free flour. The combination of rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and xanthine gum I find brings most baked goods the closest to that perfect texture you would find in non gluten free baked goods.

For my pizza recipe I made it so I can make one large 16" pizza pie and a side of cheese bread which feeds my family of four with a couple slices leftover. If you just want to make just one medium sized pizza cut the recipe in half.

**Preheat oven to 450 degrees**

-4 1/2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast (or 2 of the little yeast packets)
-1.5 Tbsp. Sugar
-1.5 c. Warm Water
-2 Eggs
-2 Tbsp. Melted butter (you can use olive oil instead I have just found using butter gives a little chewiness to the crust).
-2 tsp. Salt
-4 1/4 c. Gluten Free flour mix (I use Divided Sunset)
-1/4 tsp. Xanthine gum

First proof the yeast by adding it to a mixing bowl along with the warm water and sugar. Allow to proof for 5 minutes. Next add the rest of the ingredients except the flour and give the mix a quick whisk. Next add in the flour. I use a kitchen aid mixer with a dough hook so I add the flour in 1/2 cup at a time. The dough should ball up nicely around the dough hook like a normal pizza dough would. Next greese your pizza tray/pan with oil (I use olive or avocado for this). Since gluten free dough doesn't have the gluten that makes dough stretchy and easy to pick up it can be hard to get your dough to stay together when trying to put it in the pan after rolling. My family likes a thinner crust so I dust a silicone baking mat with flour and roll my dough out to about 1/8" thick onto the mat, but you can also use a piece of parchment paper if you don't have a silicone baking mat. When you are done rolling to size you can flip the dough onto your pizza pan then peel off the mat or parchment paper. Once your dough is in the pan fix your dough as needed to the pan and flip the edges down to create a crust. Next I take a "dough docker" and roll it across the dough. If you do not have a dough docker no worries you can simply take a fork and poke holes in your dough across the pan. The reason you poke holes in a pizza crust is so you don't get thick uneven dough or air pockets. Here is a picture of a dough docker and what your dough should look like when you're done.
51j3DB0CDWL~2.jpg

After my dough is ready I like to take 1/4 c. Of olive oil, 1 tsp garlic powder, stir together in a small cup and put it in the microwave for a minute. Then I take the warm oil garlic mixture and paint in on my entire pizza. It isn't a necessary step, but it adds a nice flavor and helps the crust get that little bit of brown on the edges. Next place your pizza in the oven and bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Pre baking ensures you have an even finish on your crust. After your pizza is finished pre-baking it is ready for sauce and toppings of your choosing. One thing I do like to do is use a mix of provolone and mozzarella for the cheese. The provolone mixed with the mozzarella helps to add another layer of flavor. Once your pizza is topped place it back in the oven for 10-12 minutes (until cheese starts to lightly brown) at 450 degrees.

If you decide to make the recipe as is without halfing it, for the cheese bread I roll out the dough on a separate pan, dock it and brush on the oil garlic mixture then pre bake it for 5 minutes at 450 degrees. After it has been pre baked I topped with my mozzarella provolone mix then place back in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 450 degrees. I usually just watch it and when the cheese is just starting to brown I pull it from the oven.

Back
Top Bottom