Any goat information is needed

goatlover

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
I am going to get goats so if you have any information at all you could give me would be great!!
- living requirements
-feeding
-grazing
-milking
-kidding...
ANYTHING!! thanks
!!

What kind of goats are you getting...dairy or meat? All goats need at least a 14% protein feed. I feed mine a 16% protein and I topdress with Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. The Sunflower seeds provide selenium and protein. We are in a selenium deficient area, so I use the BOSS to help with that. They need shelter to get out of the weather, they also need a loose mineral available to them 24/7. They need to be wormed and hooves trimmed on a regular basis. I don't know where you live, but if you are in the southern states, goats need to be wormed more often than us who live in the Northern part of the US. The reasoning is because it is warmer and more humid in the southern states than the North. It would be good if you could find someone in your area to be a mentor for you until you are more familiar with goats. The wolf queen is right, fiasco farms has an excellent web site that can answer a lot of your questions. Please do a lot of research before getting your goats. I have had goats for nearly 10 years, and I am still learning. Also, make sure you have a vet in your area that is familiar with goats. Many vets don't know a lot about goats. My vet told me they got 2 weeks of training when he was in vet school, so hopefully you can find a vet that has experience with goats. At some point you will need a vet, it's best to have one lined up so if there is a problem with kidding or they get sick you will have a vet to call.

Thanks for your information! I am planing on getting a Nubian goat for a milking goat and then getting a Nigerian Dwarf goat as a companion for it... just some dairy goats!! I live in the Northeast. so what exactly do you feed your goats?
thanks

I use a 16% dairy feed that I order from Reisdorf Bros. I have dairy also and I have very good luck with the feed from this feed mill. It will be much cheaper if you can get your grain from a feed mill as opposed to buying it from a place like Tractor Supply. It is fresher and better for the goats if you can get it from a mill. That's just my humble opinion. I topdress with BOSS and make sure they have goat minerals and baking soda out 24/7. They also have access to hay 24/7, which is a must. I am in the southwestern end of NY, near Buffalo. Glad to meet you and glad you joined!

Back
Top Bottom