Any good pics of your guineas?

Okay, thanks for the info. I didn't know that previously

Go ahead and call them guinea roosters if you want! Originally, male chickens were called cocks. That only changed when Puritans decided to use the word rooster in order to avoid the double entendre of the word cock, so there's really no reason to distinguish the two words.

Go ahead and call them guinea roosters if you want! Originally, male chickens were called cocks. That only changed when Puritans decided to use the word rooster in order to avoid the double entendre of the word cock, so there's really no reason to distinguish the two words.
When you are into guineas, it is proper to use guinea terminology instead of words that are associated with something else.

Telling people to use improper terminology is giving bad advice.

You wouldn't call a tom turkey a rooster. Or a male goose a rooster. A male guinea is a cock. If you don't know that is one thing but once you know the correct word then it should be used. I mean no offense to anyone but I agree with R2elk. :old

When you are into guineas, it is proper to use guinea terminology instead of words that are associated with something else.

Telling people to use improper terminology is giving bad advice.

LOL! :lau The bird's already flown the coop on that one by a couple centuries. I'm imagining a whole bunch of grammar police getting in those poor puritan's faces, screaming "It's a COCK! use the proper term! Telling people to call them roosters is BAD ADVICE!" Not only that, I recently posted a video on here in which it was explained that guineas were originally referred to as "turkey cocks" in the English language. So really, we're all mistaken when we refer to guineas as, well, guineas!

You're clearly a prescriptivist rather than a descriptivist. I totally get that; I get all curmudgeonly feeling sometimes when I hear some people speaking. One of the worst for me is "salty." Growing up, for me that meant tough and grizzled, like a seasoned sailor. Today it means upset, pouty, that sort of thing - a complete flip, and it rubs me the wrong way. It's not just the younger generation that gets to me, either. My grandmother and her peers always call flip flops "thongs." Gah! I can still picture the embarrassment I felt before I realized they were talking to me about footwear rather than underwear.
If I could travel into the future, I'd skip ahead every 50 years just to see how much language has changed. Imagine the Puritanism bug coming back into vogue, and "cock" being completely relegated to use as an expletive. Instead we'd have woodrooster, pearooster, etc. That might take awhile, though, considering it took "cock" about eight centuries before people started using it to refer to male anatomy as well as male birds. Or maybe "rooster" will one day be joining "cock" as a questionable and not-so-polite word one day? It's almost a shame I'll be missing it.

Oh, and here's a couple more pictures of my turkey cocks!

20230826_175022.jpg

20230127_113006.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! :lau The bird's already flown the coop on that one by a couple centuries. I'm imagining a whole bunch of grammar police getting in those poor puritan's faces, screaming "It's a COCK! use the proper term! Telling people to call them roosters is BAD ADVICE!" Not only that, I recently posted a video on here in which it was explained that guineas were originally referred to as "turkey cocks" in the English language. So really, we're all mistaken when we refer to guineas as, well, guineas!

You're clearly a prescriptivist rather than a descriptivist. I totally get that; I get all curmudgeonly feeling sometimes when I hear some people speaking. One of the worst for me is "salty." Growing up, for me that meant tough and grizzled, like a seasoned sailor. Today it means upset, pouty, that sort of thing - a complete flip, and it rubs me the wrong way. It's not just the younger generation that gets to me, either. My grandmother and her peers always call flip flops "thongs." Gah! I can still picture the embarrassment I felt before I realized they were talking to me about footwear rather than underwear.
If I could travel into the future, I'd skip ahead every 50 years just to see how much language has changed. Imagine the Puritanism bug coming back into vogue, and "cock" being completely relegated to use as an expletive. Instead we'd have woodrooster, pearooster, etc. That might take awhile, though, considering it took "cock" about eight centuries before people started using it to refer to male anatomy as well as male birds. Or maybe "rooster" will one day be joining "cock" as a questionable and not-so-polite word one day? It's almost a shame I'll be missing it.

Oh, and here's a couple more pictures of my turkey cocks!

View attachment 3641446
If you don't want to use the word cock, it is entirely appropriate to use the word male.

As to your claim that guineas used to be called turkey cocks, I have seen lots of bad information posted on the Internet but up until now had never seen this claim. I see no reason to believe you.

If you don't want to use the word cock, it is entirely appropriate to use the word male.

As to your claim that guineas used to be called turkey cocks, I have seen lots of bad information posted on the Internet but up until now had never seen this claim. I see no reason to believe you.

No argument here! Male is obviously appropriate when referring to males. And rooster is honestly fine, as well. No one is going to misunderstand someone talking about their "guinea hens and guinea roosters." Context is what makes the language.

And everyone should do their own research, that's a great impulse! It's something I had looked into before, and I had heard that what we now know as turkeys were named after guineas, so it wasn't totally new information to me. What was new information to me was how long guineas have been raised for meat. I had no idea they were such a popular meat bird in the past. Luckily for my birds, I need my guineas too badly for tick control to test out their tastiness.

Really pretty pictures! I love the darker one near the lighter one in the top picture!

Thanks. They're my two survivors from an older flock that used to number 20. The dark one was dominant when the flock was still around, and the lighter one was lowest in the ranks and never allowed to come closer than the outskirts of the flock before. As the last two, they've become best buds.Funny how things work out.

Here’s a few of mine. Getting a picture of them isn’t easy, they won’t stay still lol.

Attachments

• EF8F64E3-F7EF-4200-92B0-CFACB7E45CC0.jpeg
    EF8F64E3-F7EF-4200-92B0-CFACB7E45CC0.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 8
  • C5D510CA-E0B4-4012-91E1-2703094901BA.jpeg
    C5D510CA-E0B4-4012-91E1-2703094901BA.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 3E249B5C-1F98-4BC1-BD68-B7727D732276.jpeg
    3E249B5C-1F98-4BC1-BD68-B7727D732276.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom