any guesses on breed of this one

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jimmythechicken, May 25, 2011.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    here is a few pics of one of our young turkeys we have 6 blue slates an this one brown/black do you think it will feather into a black slate type.or will it look more like a choc brown type.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    It looks more like a Chocolate turkey but you won't be able to tell until he is older.
    I'm sorry I couldn't help anymore.
    Sincerely,
    Jackie

3. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    It is a rusty black. A mix of a black turkey with a single red gene. Did you get that from a hatchery or a breeder?

4. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    I'd say either a black or a chocolate one

5. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    from a breeder they did blue slates an br .it was all brown when we got it a few days old feathering out darker now.very pretty bird

6. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I would have bet a million dollars it was a breeder. SOP at its best. It is not the brown gene. With a mask that would be called chocolate. That is not what it is. It is a rusty black. Porters site talks about rusty blacks in the article on Jersery buffs. They are a mix that does not breed true. Porter also has pictures on his genetics board.

A tip to you. When he is breeding age keep him away from your slates unless you want poults that look like mud.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  7. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    my daughter only does blueslates but just loved that ones color it will just free range will not go in the breeding pens.will check out porters site thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by