Any guesses on gender for splash and blue Cochin chicks?

They are Silkies (one black, one splash). It is too young to tell gender with them, since Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex until they're older.

The good news about having one black and one splash if you get a pullet and a cockerel ALL of their offspring will be blue.

Awesome!! One concern I have is my other chickens are cuckoo marans, will they do OK together or should I separate them? I was considering making them there own little coop?

I had to separate my silkies as they got picked on and plucked. That is just my experience. Silkie pullets are the sweatest.

I had two Silkie pullets but sadly I lost them both to illness :(

They got along fine with my bantams (bantam Cochins and Langshan). I have heard that LF will sometimes bully Silkies but also other stories of them getting along just fine; depends on the individual chickenality
wink.png

Just an update, I contacted Cackle Hatchery, and even though I wasn't upset about the mix up they did a reship so I will get my standard Cochin chicks tomorrow. They are wonderful to deal with I wasn't even expecting it just thought I would let them know and I was just gonna try again next spring to get my Cochins so I'll have lots of feather footed guys running around :) Yay!!

Back
Top Bottom