Any guesses to how close...?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KingsCalls, Apr 29, 2008.

1. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Any guesses as to how far Gracie is to kidding? She is a mini-fainter and stands about 22" at the shoulders.[​IMG]

2. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    She has quite awhile yet I'd say. Her bags should tighten and look shiny. Her girl parts will also swell quite a bit more. I would think you are atleast a few weeks out.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Thanks......this will be our 1st kidding and we are excited.! And maybe in a hurry...LOL

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd say she has a ways to go too.....just judging how our cows look when they're close to calving. I grew up with goats, but that's been a while ago.

5. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    My herd queen is about to burst! she is so big, I think she is holding the baby in out of spite!!!! Everyday I think she is going to kid, and then NO baby!!! [​IMG] I know how you feel. but her udder will fill out and be kinda shiny, her bum will kinda poof out, and she will have goopy stuff coming out, then it will be time!!! you can also feel her tail, if you can put your fingers around it, you will know you are getting closer {feel just where the tail joins her back, those ligaments loosen up before birth} I'll try to find a pic for you!

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I guess 3-4 weeks. FFs can surprise you, though! Looks like she's lost the hair right around her teats, but there's not enough filling of the udder yet. And, yeah...she should get really pouchy about the vulva.

Our last kidding was by our FF Two Spot - that's about how she looked one month prior.

7. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by