Newborn goat struggling

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, this afternoon my goat kidded two kids. I found one under the RV in the barn, s/he had escaped the pallet enclosure and was sitting crying and a bit wet still. I put her back in the enclosure and dried her off. 10 minutes later I found her with her head and neck stuck between two pallet boards (trying to escape again). I freed her but judging by her labored breathing, she was partly asphyxiated. I massaged her, warmed her and gave her a few cc of mom's colostrum, and sealed off the pallets. She is now 2 hrs old and cannot stand on front legs. Vocalizing but just slumped in the corner. The other goat kid is alert and standing. Neither seems able to nurse, since mom's bag and teats are so huge and close to the ground. Any suggestions?

You'll want to milk the goat and bottle feed the kids if they can't reach her teats. Colostrum is important and they need way more than a few cc's of it, so if you can milk the mom to get all of that super thick goodness out, that will be best. It's vital for them to have it in the first 24 hours - sooner is better. The one who got stuck you might want to put under a heat lamp to help with shock, and again, a lot of colostrum if you can get it.
If for some reason you can't milk the mom then you need to get some store bought colostrum mix (specifically made for goats, since regular bovine colostrum doesn't have enough fat and they need over double the amount to make up the difference), and get it in them. Milk replacer too.
Edit: is mom interested in the babies at all? Trying to encourage them to nurse? Did she lick them clean? If mom isn't interested in them at all and they can't get the hang of nursing you're going to have to bottle feed the whole way through.

Ok I am doing that. Mom is trying to get the stronger one in position to nurse but the weaker one can't stand. just seems to be losing her life force. She can't hold her head up. I gave her a little b vitamins and selenium orally as well.
Actually it seems now like she had neck trauma possibly from an adult goat ramming her head while it was stuck out of the pallet.
You'll want to milk the goat and bottle feed the kids if they can't reach her teats. Colostrum is important and they need way more than a few cc's of it, so if you can milk the mom to get all of that super thick goodness out, that will be best. It's vital for them to have it in the first 24 hours - sooner is better. The one who got stuck you might want to put under a heat lamp to help with shock, and again, a lot of colostrum if you can get it.
If for some reason you can't milk the mom then you need to get some store bought colostrum mix (specifically made for goats, since regular bovine colostrum doesn't have enough fat and they need over double the amount to make up the difference), and get it in them. Milk replacer too.
Edit: is mom interested in the babies at all? Trying to encourage them to nurse? Did she lick them clean? If mom isn't interested in them at all and they can't get the hang of nursing you're going to have to bottle feed the whole way through.

Ok I am doing that. Mom is trying to get the stronger one in position to nurse but the weaker one can't stand. just seems to be losing her life force. She can't hold her head up. I gave her a little b vitamins and selenium orally as well.
Actually it seems now like she had neck trauma possibly from an adult goat ramming her head while it was stuck out of the pallet.
At this point just try and keep her warm and give her colostrum. If you can I'd call a vet for advice but I know not everyone has a goat vet handy.

Ok thanks. The injured one was able to stand now. They slept a few Hours on an infrared hot plate between hay bales. Still not able to nurse. But looks like you were right she was in shock from cold earlier.
At this point just try and keep her warm and give her colostrum. If you can I'd call a vet for advice but I know not everyone has a goat vet handy.

That's good. Is she at least able to drink from a bottle?
Have not had any luck with the bottle, perhaps there is something wrong with the nipple. Both were able to stand this morning and got their mouths around a teat briefly. I have been forcing small amounts into their mouths via syringe.

Have not had any luck with the bottle, perhaps there is something wrong with the nipple. Both were able to stand this morning and got their mouths around a teat briefly. I have been forcing small amounts into their mouths via syringe.
What kind of nipple are you using? If you put a finger in her mouth are you getting a sucking reflex?

For future reference, a kid should not be feed unless its temperature is above 100 degrees. Their digestive system doesn't work properly if they are too cold and feeding them at that time can cause other issues. If you don't have a thermometer on hand, stick your finger in the mouth and if it feels cold they aren't warm enough to eat.

Also try to avoid putting a cold kid, especially one that can't stand, on top of a heat source. They can easily overheat. I made this mistake once with a preemie and almost killed her.

Hey, thanks for following up. I tried a regular baby bottle and that worked. She was really hungry. Mom would not let me put her on a teat nor milk her. Seems kike that was the problem.

@Stravager, may I ask a question about another doe? She's a first freshener but somehow got advanced mastitis during pregnancy. It appears so. Both teats (the area between the nipple and the bag) are hard inside the whole mass. Not too much milk is coming out. Kid seems weak like not getting enough milk. Vet is back in town Wednesday. Is there anything I can do to help in the meantime?
What kind of nipple are you using? If you put a finger in her mouth are you getting a sucking reflex?

Back
Top Bottom