Any help guessing breed and sex? part 1

BASMP

Chirping
Aug 18, 2019
Hello, I'm new here. I recently bought some new chickens. I'd like you to help me identify their breed and sexes. Thanks in advance.

1. Approximately 5 months old bantam cockarel. Single comb, blue legs. What breed do you think it is? Cross?
20190817_144739.jpg

2. Approximately 3 months old. Yellow legs. Breed? Sex?
20190817_141520.jpg 20190817_141516.jpg

3.Approximately 3 months old. Yellow legs. Breed? Sex?
20190817_141632.jpg 20190817_141630.jpg

4.Approximately 3 months old. Yellow legs. Breed? Sex?
20190817_142651.jpg 20190817_142645.jpg

5. Approximately 2,5 months old. 5 toes, dark blue-feathered legs, hooded. Breed? Sex? 20190817_143443.jpg 20190817_143442.jpg

6.Approximately 3 months old. Yellow legs. Breed? Sex?
20190817_143327.jpg

7.Approximately 3 months old. Yellow legs. Breed? Sex?
20190817_142536.jpg

8.Approximately 3 months old. Yellow legs. Breed? Sex?
20190817_142603.jpg

9.Approximately 2,5 months old. Olive green legs. Hooded. Breed? Sex?
20190817_141641.jpg 20190817_141706.jpg

Attachments

• 20190817_141516.jpg
    20190817_141516.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20190817_141520.jpg
    20190817_141520.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190817_143326.jpg
    20190817_143326.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 11
Guesses:

1 looks like a splash old English game bantam

2 and 6, Barred rock crosses 2 a pullet, 6 a cockerel

3, 8, 9 Buff Orpington crosses. I’m guessing the rooster is a buff Orpington.

4 if pure a New Hampshire red, if not a NH red or Rhode Island Red Cross

5 looks like a bantam d’Uccle cross

7 could be welsummer (based on partridge colouring) Japanese bantam cross (based on short legs)

You’ll be surer of their breed based on their egg colour.

By buff Orpington rooster I meant their father.

The rest look like pullets except the d’Uccle cross looks a bit like a cockerel (as does the first one which you knew)

Guesses:

1 looks like a splash old English game bantam

2 and 6, Barred rock crosses 2 a pullet, 6 a cockerel

3, 8, 9 Buff Orpington crosses. I’m guessing the rooster is a buff Orpington.

4 if pure a New Hampshire red, if not a NH red or Rhode Island Red Cross

5 looks like a bantam d’Uccle cross

7 could be welsummer (based on partridge colouring) Japanese bantam cross (based on short legs)

1: I thought maybe he is Bresse Gauloise bantam or a mix due to the feather colors, the legs color and the hen feathering.

2 and 6: I assume the same here, the 6 one a cockerel cause it has thick legs

3, 8 and 9: Yes, 3 and 8 could be(yellow legs, 4 toes) but the 9 one has blue legs and 5 toes so a mix with Silkie, Dorking, Faverolle, Houdan or Sultan? She has also a crest, btw. Furthermore she was bought from a different farm than the one i bought the former 2 (3 and 8) I didnt notice any Orpington chickens at the farm I bought the 9 one and since the owner had the chickens hatch from eggs the chickens of the farm layed, maybe a mix with araucana?(he mentioned she will lay green eggs(btw she has olive green legs) I noticed the farm had Araucanas, Black Australorp, Sebright, Naked necks, Brahmas and Silkies. I dont know if the farm had other breeds during the months prior the hatching.

4: what is the difference between a NHR and a RIR?

5: What made you think this? He has blue legs, single comb, feathered legs and 5 toes. Could it be a D'Uccle cross?

7: Yes, I think you are right! Though I didnt think its a bantam since it has the same size as the other 3 months old chickens (2, 3, 4, 6 and 8)

You’ll be surer of their breed based on their egg colour.

By buff Orpington rooster I meant their father.

The rest look like pullets except the d’Uccle cross looks a bit like a cockerel (as does the first one which you knew)

Yes, I think the 5 one is a cockerel, too. Don't bantam hens usually have smaller combs than the combs of a large breed hen, mutatis mutandis?

1: I thought maybe he is Bresse Gauloise bantam or a mix due to the feather colors, the legs color and the hen feathering.

2 and 6: I assume the same here, the 6 one a cockerel cause it has thick legs

3, 8 and 9: Yes, 3 and 8 could be(yellow legs, 4 toes) but the 9 one has blue legs and 5 toes so a mix with Silkie, Dorking, Faverolle, Houdan or Sultan? She has also a crest, btw. Furthermore she was bought from a different farm than the one i bought the former 2 (3 and 8) I didnt notice any Orpington chickens at the farm I bought the 9 one and since the owner had the chickens hatch from eggs the chickens of the farm layed, maybe a mix with araucana?(he mentioned she will lay green eggs(btw she has olive green legs) I noticed the farm had Araucanas, Black Australorp, Sebright, Naked necks, Brahmas and Silkies. I dont know if the farm had other breeds during the months prior the hatching.

4: what is the difference between a NHR and a RIR?

5: What made you think this? He has blue legs, single comb, feathered legs and 5 toes. Could it be a D'Uccle cross?

7: Yes, I think you are right! Though I didnt think its a bantam since it has the same size as the other 3 months old chickens (2, 3, 4, 6 and 8)
The first one is too young to tell if he'll have hen feathering or not. I say you post again in a few weeks.

The first name you mentioned and the last name also I’m not familiar with so I don’t know if they could be those

The crested one could have some silkie, as far I as I know Araucanas have tufts not crests but I could be wrong

Yes the d’Uccle cross could have been crossed with sultan or silkie which gave it five toes, I thought d’Uccle because here in North America a smooth feathered bantam with a single comb and feathered legs can only be a d’Uccle or Cochin but Cochins have yellow legs so I went with d’Uccle. Another possible breed would be bantam langshan but they are more rare here, not sure how popular they are in Greece.

The difference between RIR and NHR is that RIR have an extra dose of red colouring so the red is richer, referred to as mahogany red whereas NHR is referred to as a lighter chestnut red

The first name you mentioned and the last name also I’m not familiar with so I don’t know if they could be those

The crested one could have some silkie, as far I as I know Araucanas have tufts not crests but I could be wrong

Yes the d’Uccle cross could have been crossed with sultan or silkie which gave it five toes, I thought d’Uccle because here in North America a smooth feathered bantam with a single comb and feathered legs can only be a d’Uccle or Cochin but Cochins have yellow legs so I went with d’Uccle. Another possible breed would be bantam langshan but they are more rare here, not sure how popular they are in Greece.

The difference between RIR and NHR is that RIR have an extra dose of red colouring so the red is richer, referred to as mahogany red whereas NHR is referred to as a lighter chestnut red

Thanks for your reply. There are 2 crested ones (5 and 9). Excuse me for the confusion but with this phrase "has blue legs and 5 toes so a mix with Silkie, Dorking, Faverolle, Houdan or Sultan? She has also a crest, btw" I was referring to the 5 one, not the 9. As I wrote later in that sentence she has green legs, 4 toes. That's why I was assuming she's an araucana or ameraucana or EE. It could also be a legbar. I've been told from the seller that she'll lay green eggs. I didn't notice any tufts on her but I was thinking more like she's a mix of one of the mentioned breeds.

I see your point for the 5 one. I don't think D'Uccle is very common here, nor langshan. Cochin is somewhat more common..

Back
Top Bottom