Any help with our girl

Jan 5, 2020
Maine, NY
Hi Everyone, any help with our girl.. She is not eating, small amount of drinking, she feels warm, has lost some weight, and some liquid comes back up via beak. She is 4-5 yrs old. Still laying eggs when well. Poop was very liquid with green and white color. Crop was squichy not hard. At first we thought she had a crop problem and we tried mineral oil and lative down her beak. The oil combo produced a bunch of yellow and white "poop" when done. Before this we thought it was a soft shell egg issue in her and did epsom salt baths. We dont feel an egg in her. Anyone have any other ideas to help her? thanks everyone.

Hi there. I'm sorry your hen isn't doing well.

If you really suspect her crop (the squishy crop is suspect), isolate her and remove her access to food. In the morning, check her crop, and it should be empty/feel flat. And poop pics would help. You'll be able to get some pics if she is isolated.

Thank-you for your help. She is in isolation start of day2 without food just water. Crop feels smaller and squishy but no smell. The poop has changed from very liquidy to more green and white and now has some yellow and white after the oil combo treatment. We had a few very hot days these last 2 days but her other chicken friends are well. She had no interest in food when we put her in isolation. Here is a picture of the poop. Not sure what is happening to her..

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200527_174303.jpg
    thumbnail_20200527_174303.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 9
Is your chick starter medicated???

I would treat the whole group with Corid asap. Do you have any on hand? If not, you can get it at any feed store.

That poop looks kinda foamy. It could be from the meds you've already given, but it could be coccidiosis. It won't hurt to treat them for it if they don't have it. If anything, it will help rule it out.

You could do antifungal, too, for sour crop. I don't know dosage. You can search BYC. I will, too.

Is your chick starter medicated???

I would treat the whole group with Corid asap. Do you have any on hand? If not, you can get it at any feed store.

That poop looks kinda foamy. It could be from the meds you've already given, but it could be coccidiosis. It won't hurt to treat them for it if they don't have it. If anything, it will help rule it out.
Silly me! She's not on chick starter! Got my threads mixed up. Corid might still be in order.

We were thinking of coccidiosis too. So many things it could be. I will look into Corid as well. Thank u for your help. Its great to have chicken friends to bounce these problems off of.

UPDATE.. We have treated her for impacked crop, coccidiosis and then sour crop . Was a long battle but she is doing very well and will be joining the flock again next week. It is so good to see her eating well and looking so much better. Thank you for your help Aunt Angus and DobieLover. Here is a picture of her from last night enjoying some worms.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200618_192606.jpg
    thumbnail_20200618_192606.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom