Any Home Bakers Here?

It is converting the flour into the alcohol, so it is alive. Just not very active right now. I added more flour and stirred it up - it is developing the sour dough texture and getting kinda "snotty" if you know what I mean. Maybe in a couple of days it will be strong enough to expand in the jar.
If it does NOT grow in the jar and bubble....I would not use it. That is
a matter of choice. Aria

I was cleaning out our fridge and found this.
View attachment 2553229
I think my sour dough starter has gone to the dark side, lol. There's some interesting colors in there. :eek:

I scraped off the top layer - about 3/4 of an inch - and found some normal looking starter. I spooned about 2 tablespoons of the good stuff out into a clean mason jar and added room temp water and AP flour. Let it sit for 3 hours and got this.
View attachment 2553233
It looks like my normal sour dough starter, but doesn't have any smell. No tangy goodness or anything. I added more flour and water, with a touch of milk and after a couple of hours I could see it slowly bubble the clear liquid up, but it never increased in size like I am used to it doing.

Well, my sour dough experts, do you think I managed to save it or should I dump it and start from scratch?
@Aria may have the answer to this question. As for me I would start again aria advised this to me when I had the same problem. Then Ron said too add a little pineapple juice to my new starter and it has been perfect ever since :)

@Aria may have the answer to this question. As for me I would start again aria advised this to me when I had the same problem. Then Ron said too add a little pineapple juice to my new starter and it has been perfect ever since :)
If the starter looks and smells like sourdough, it is good.

The alcohol and cultures in the starter preserve it.

What happens over time is the alcohol gets to a high level in the starter and makes the yeast go dormant. The liquid on top of the starter is alcohol and the old timers called it hootch. They would drink it!

If the starter looks and smells like sourdough, it is good.

The alcohol and cultures in the starter preserve it.

What happens over time is the alcohol gets to a high level in the starter and makes the yeast go dormant. The liquid on top of the starter is alcohol and the old timers called it hootch. They would drink it!
Thanks for this information now I'm wondering if we could make wine out of it :hmm

I am forfeiting my entry in the Easter baking contest. Tried making my entry, and it just did NOT work the way I wanted it to. I failed.

I probably would have lost anyway, because I am a horrible baker.

That, plus I can’t track down the ammo I need for bear season. If I can’t find it, I’ll have to cancel my hunt.

Just a lot of depression right now.

I am forfeiting my entry in the Easter baking contest. Tried making my entry, and it just did NOT work the way I wanted it to. I failed.

I probably would have lost anyway, because I am a horrible baker.

That, plus I can’t track down the ammo I need for bear season. If I can’t find it, I’ll have to cancel my hunt.

Just a lot of depression right now.

Sorry things are discouraging right now Jared.

I was looking forward to your entry. Maybe you could try a new idea?

Back
Top Bottom