Any Home Bakers Here?

Tangzhong is a totally new word for me. So I had to google it and see what it was...

Interesting! It's very interesting! I did find a GF bread recipe, but it uses a stand mixer, and I don't have one.

I do plan to get myself a good hand mixer. I'm looking at a Breville model; very pricey, at $130-150, but I want a GOOD MIXER. The cheap one I have has never, ever beaten egg whites to stiff peaks. :tongue

I'm wondering if it would handle bread dough....?
Just offering my HONEST opinion. :hugs
A stand mixer is something that once you have one,,,,, you will say to yourself.. WHY DIDN'T I GET ONE SOONER:idunno

I have 2 of them. a 4½ quart, as pictured, and a larger 5 quart. image_2022-12-02_235126569.png
My 4 ½ quart is reaching ANTIQE status, but works just fine. These things are long lasting, and dependable.
The 5 quart is much newer model.
I have used both at same bakeout, doing different tasks.
Reading your post for desired hand mixers,,,,,,, $130 to $150 range.. there are other options for stand mixers in that price range also. Just not KitchenAid
If you look on Amazon, or Wayfair. you can see all the options available.
image_2022-12-03_001119726.png

Tell your significant other,,, " Honey,,,:hugs,,:love,,,,, Holidays are getting near,, and I wanted to bake some Betsy Bread:drool:drool:drool for you."
You mentioned that the GF dough is a loose type, Use the flat beater attachment. Also good to use same when making Pumpkin pie filling.:yesss:
The whisk will make your egg whites stand at attention.:old
When making Betsy Bread,, use the dough hook. I also ran across a post that suggested using dough hook to shred cooked chicken breasts. Guess you end up with PULLED CHICKEN..
I know you do gardening,, and do use your veggies . May get creative with machine in some of those preparations. :idunno

I did find a GF bread recipe, but it uses a stand mixer, and I don't have one.
As mentioned, the Christmas giving/receiving days are nigh ;)

I'm wondering if it would handle bread dough....?
A hand mixer? I seriously doubt it. Have the gift giver spend the extra $100 (or give them the $100) on a K/A stand mixer. It can do what a hand mixer can do, and a lot more.

The thing about a stand mixer is... It will have to sit on the counter. A hand mixer gets put away in a cupboard.

Can I give up the counter space....? Will it fit under the cupboard in the corner where I'd put it...?

Those are the questions.

I would get a KA if I were to get one. @cavemanrich, can you measure how tall yours is, both in the "down" and "up" position and let me know? If it won't fit, then the questions are totally moot points. Thanks!

The thing about a stand mixer is... It will have to sit on the counter. A hand mixer gets put away in a cupboard.

Can I give up the counter space....? Will it fit under the cupboard in the corner where I'd put it...?

Those are the questions.

I would get a KA if I were to get one. @cavemanrich, can you measure how tall yours is, both in the "down" and "up" position and let me know? If it won't fit, then the questions are totally moot points. Thanks!
If you have standard counter heights and widths along with standard upper cabinet heights and widths, it will work for you.

I have the Artisan which in the down position is approximately 14" tall. It will easily fit under my cabinets that are approximately 17" above the counter.

At approximately 18" high in the up position, it will not interfere with the upper cabinets when pulled to the front of the counter. I keep mine set at the front of the counter.

It's base is approximately 9" wide by 13" long.

It is very worth having.

Just offering my HONEST opinion. :hugs
A stand mixer is something that once you have one,,,,, you will say to yourself.. WHY DIDN'T I GET ONE SOONER:idunno

I have 2 of them. a 4½ quart, as pictured, and a larger 5 quart.View attachment 3339615
My 4 ½ quart is reaching ANTIQE status, but works just fine. These things are long lasting, and dependable.
The 5 quart is much newer model.
I have used both at same bakeout, doing different tasks.
Reading your post for desired hand mixers,,,,,,, $130 to $150 range.. there are other options for stand mixers in that price range also. Just not KitchenAid
If you look on Amazon, or Wayfair. you can see all the options available.
View attachment 3339626

Tell your significant other,,, " Honey,,,:hugs,,:love,,,,, Holidays are getting near,, and I wanted to bake some Betsy Bread:drool:drool:drool for you."
You mentioned that the GF dough is a loose type, Use the flat beater attachment. Also good to use same when making Pumpkin pie filling.:yesss:
The whisk will make your egg whites stand at attention.:old
When making Betsy Bread,, use the dough hook. I also ran across a post that suggested using dough hook to shred cooked chicken breasts. Guess you end up with PULLED CHICKEN..
I know you do gardening,, and do use your veggies . May get creative with machine in some of those preparations. :idunno

Kitchen Aide stand mixer is the very best you can own.

The Kitchen Aide hand mixer is my take for buying a hand mixer.

If I was having trouble trying to buy either one of Kitchen Aide mixers I would start a saving fund at home.

My savings fund started with saving all my change from purchases, then I decided I would save my one dollar bills, and that went real good, and I decided I needed to include the five dollar bills.

Saving my change, one dollar and five dollar bills will be around 500 dollars give or take.

Then I would be able to buy a stand mixer if I wanted one.

The best advice I am able to impart is buy the best and you won't have to replace it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom