Any hope for these poor eggs?

Last year my incubator burned out, and I got away with a carboard box, with a heat lamp, I put a small bowl of water beside them, And they hatched :) good luck !!

I've finished off eggs in a cardboard box lined with aluminum foil with a heat lamp for warmth (under nearly the same circumstances, the hen got up when the first egg pipped). I placed a small bowl of water in each corner and went outside to do yard work for the day. When I came back in several hours later, there were fluffies in the box looking back at me.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck :)[/quote

Did the hen accept the chicks or did you have to raise them yourself?

So I have candles the eggs again and it looks like 5 are moving around!! I think I might keep them in the box with the heat lamp and sponge because I cannot get the incubator regulated. It's at 95 degrees but the humidity is at 70 and my neighbor said to have the heat at 99 and the humidity at 50 degrees. Any thought on this?

100 is better than 99 if you can get there. 50 is lower than you'd want to be for hatch, keep it as high as you can without messing up the temperature. Even if only five are moving, keep them all in the box.

I will put them in the incubator if it's ok if the humidity is at 70 degrees. I have never even seen an incubator before! It's a styrofoam bator..... Is 70 humidity ok for 18 day eggs?

Yes, a humidity of 70 and temp of 99-101 (100 if you can get it) is GREAT for day 18 chicken eggs. A temp of 95 isn't enough.

Make sure you have the lid on right, with nothing holding it open...some incubators seem to fit both ways, but only fit RIGHT one way. Rotate the lid 90 degrees and see what happens.

Last edited:
Ok and I'm also reading that I'm not supposed to open it or turn the eggs at this stage? I was planning on taking them to work with me on Wednesday so I could be around when they hatch. Is that a bad idea? What happens if j open the incubator will it really mess everything up? I'm really mad at my silkie right now.....
1f621.png
1f621.png

It would be better if you left them home. I hope they wait for you, but they have a better chance hatching not being interrupted.

Yes, leave it closed as much as you reasonably can to help keep humidity in for hatch. But if you need to add water to the sponges or rags or water trays, do so...use lukewarm water and close it up as quickly as you can.

And you are correct, no turning. If you've marked the air cells, put the deepest dip in the air cell up. That's where the chick will pip.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom