Any hunters on here?

Pics
.270 Winchester is what I was told
Ok, so, before you shoot it, be sure of the chambering. There should be stamping on the barrel near the action/breach (where the bullets go in). If you can’t definitively find the stampings and make the determination on your own, take it to a sporting goods shop or gun smith. Firing the wrong cartridge is dangerous and can be disastrous.

Assuming it’s a .270 Winchester, that’s more than enough gun for the animals you mentioned. Perfectly fine for food harvesting goat or deer (assuming you can get close enough to the goat).

If you’re just getting rid of nuisance fox you’re fine too. If you were trying to harvest/sell the pelts I might recommend a smaller caliber.

Seeing if I can bring this thread back to life.
Any other hunters on this site that would like to share?
I killed my biggest buck to date last year. I'm no trophy hunter, but this guy has been hanging around so I did go out of my way to try and get on him. He tasted great and I got a nice set of antlers so win/win. He was 6.5y old best I can tell which is pretty cool.

I actually got the kill shot on video at the end....

I killed my biggest buck to date last year. I'm no trophy hunter, but this guy has been hanging around so I did go out of my way to try and get on him. He tasted great and I got a nice set of antlers so win/win. He was 6.5y old best I can tell which is pretty cool.

I actually got the kill shot on video at the end....

That's a nice buck and nice shot! What kind of rifle and ammo were you using?

That's a nice buck and nice shot! What kind of rifle and ammo were you using?
It's a Ruger SFAR chambered in 308 Winchester. I just bought it last year and that's the second deer I've killed with it. I've used AR-10s in the past but they are very heavy. This new SFAR is so much lighter, it's almost as light as an AR-15. It's a hybrid between the two.

I normally shoot 168gr nosler ballistic tip handloads but I'm pretty sure I used a 150gr remington core-lokt on him.

It's a funny story because I had only been there for 20 minutes. It was still pretty dark, only 10-15 minutes after legal light. I was staring at this cluster of bushes with my naked eye because it kind of looked like the shape of a deer, then he took a couple steps and I saw it was a buck. I threw my gun up and when I found him in the scope, his neck and head were behind the tree the camera is strapped to, completely blocked from my view. I had no idea it was him. I shot about 2" left of the tree and dropped him. If he had taken 1 more step his entire shoulder would have been behind the tree abd i never would have got a shot. I thought it was going to be a decent buck from what I saw with my naked eye but I had no idea it was him until I walked up on him....

Last edited:
It's a Ruger SFAR chambered in 308 Winchester. I just bought it last year and that's the second deer I've killed with it. I've used AR-10s in the past but they are very heavy. This new SFAR is so much lighter, it's almost as light as an AR-15. It's a hybrid between the two.

I normally shoot 168gr nosler ballistic tip handloads but I'm pretty sure I used a 150gr remington core-lokt on him.

It's a funny story because I had only been there for 20 minutes. It was still pretty dark, only 10-15 minutes after legal light. I was staring at this cluster of bushes with my naked eye because it kind of looked like the shape of a deer, then he took a couple steps and I saw it was a buck. I threw my gun up and when I found him in the scope, his neck and head were behind the tree the camera is strapped to, completely blocked from my view. I had no idea it was him. I shot about 2" left of the tree and dropped him. If he had taken 1 more step his entire shoulder would have been behind the tree abd i never would have got a shot. I thought it was going to be a decent buck from what I saw with my naked eye but I had no idea it was him until I walked up on him....
Nice! I've got a Marlin 30-30 lever action. I'm too old and arthritis so I can't go hunting anymore but I do still enjoy other peoples stories. I live in PA now but years ago lived in NM and used to hunt antelope and mule deer. Never got one that nice though.

You're not scaring me off at all, and thats pretty much what I was expecting :)
I definitely don't want to try and hunt before I'm ready, and end up just injuring an animal, rather killing it out right.
Can you use the same rifle for both say goats and foxes?
In that for their meat I would be after the goats and odd deer, but then if I see fox (which are terribly bad for the wildlife, as they have not evolved to deal with them) I would want to be able to take that on as well.
I really don't know anything much in the moment, so sorry if thats a very silly question :oops:
Get yourself a bolt action .22cal. great for learning to shoot, and varmints and small game. I've killed a bunch of foxes with a 22.

For larger game a 7mm08 can't be beat. Fantastic ballistics, lower recoil and is absolutely deadly on deer.

Back
Top Bottom