Any hunters on here?

I am very keen to get in to hunting, but haven't yet. (to many other things going on...)
What is the best way to actually become a good shot? I obviously don't want to just start shooting at animals if I have a 1 in 50 chance of actually hitting it!
Just like target practice?

Around here, there are goats, deer, rabbits, and then for pest control foxes and (feral) cats.
I think there are limits and seasons on the deer, but the others all take as many as you want/can, because they are all feral animals.

I am very keen to get in to hunting, but haven't yet. (to many other things going on...)
What is the best way to actually become a good shot? I obviously don't want to just start shooting at animals if I have a 1 in 50 chance of actually hitting it!
Just like target practice?

Around here, there are goats, deer, rabbits, and then for pest control foxes and (feral) cats.
I think there are limits and seasons on the deer, but the others all take as many as you want/can, because they are all feral animals.
Not to scare you off, but lots of time on trigger.

Decide what you want to hunt. That will determine an ideal caliber and range.

Get a firearm suited to what you picked. Then, practice.

It’s not going to be years of practice, but depending on how often you go, it could be a couple months.

In my experience with new shooters, first day you’ll be amazing. You should go again. Your groups (of shots) are going to open up. Go a couple more times. They’ll start closing back down. At some point they’ll be reliably in the kill zone for the animal you’ve chosen.

Real hunting is different from punching holes in paper. But, practice practice on the range and that’s a good first step. Next, practice practice in the field.

And, be sure to check local laws/ordinances. DNR will take ALL your stuff (guns, vehicles, maybe houses?) if you step out of line.

Not to scare you off, but lots of time on trigger.

Decide what you want to hunt. That will determine an ideal caliber and range.

Get a firearm suited to what you picked. Then, practice.

It’s not going to be years of practice, but depending on how often you go, it could be a couple months.
You're not scaring me off at all, and thats pretty much what I was expecting :)
I definitely don't want to try and hunt before I'm ready, and end up just injuring an animal, rather killing it out right.
Can you use the same rifle for both say goats and foxes?
In that for their meat I would be after the goats and odd deer, but then if I see fox (which are terribly bad for the wildlife, as they have not evolved to deal with them) I would want to be able to take that on as well.
I really don't know anything much in the moment, so sorry if thats a very silly question :oops:

You're not scaring me off at all, and thats pretty much what I was expecting :)
I definitely don't want to try and hunt before I'm ready, and end up just injuring an animal, rather killing it out right.
Can you use the same rifle for both say goats and foxes?
In that for their meat I would be after the goats and odd deer, but then if I see fox (which are terribly bad for the wildlife, as they have not evolved to deal with them) I would want to be able to take that on as well.
I really don't know anything much in the moment, so sorry if thats a very silly question :oops:
Not silly at all. Goats and fox are both well sized for a .223/5.56 (which is a very common) ar-15 chambering. Also very common in a bolt action rifle.

Many people will argue that it’s too small a round for deer. I think with good shot placement it’s fine. But I’ll leave that to you and the Internet forums 😁

If you’re new, I think a .223 is a great chambering to start with. Very little recoil. Reasonable price for the ammo. Widely available. And even if you never actually go after an animal, it’s a lot of fun to punch holes in paper at 200+ yards.

What is the best way to actually become a good shot?
Find an certified Rifle & pistol instructor, get good instruction & then practice, practice, practice. When I was shooting the M14 in the National Match course, I practiced 4 times a week & shot matches 4 times a month.

Get a .22 & a centerfire bolt action rifle that has surplus ammo for it, like the .556 or .223 use the surplus ammo to practice & get comfortable with the ammo you will use to hunt. Ammo is expensive however I have never found a better way to learn & become a good shooter with out shooting live ammo.

Good luck & always know your back stop is safe especially while out hunting.
ANDY G.png

So, assuming we’re talking .270 Winchester, whitetail deer is right in the range.

But there’s also .270 weatherby magnum and .270 Winchester short magnum.

A pic of the barrel stamping would help.

Back
Top Bottom