Any idea on this leg growth

Matc1988

Hatching
Sep 25, 2019
Hi all. I'm new to having chickens.
I had 3 and a coop offered to me so I thought I'd like to have chickens in the garden to walk round. So far everything had been great.

Just one question regarding one of the chickens.

It has something on one leg. It's quiet hard. I thought it was mud at first but don't want to start messing with it as I'm unsure.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190925_194625_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20190925_194625_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 14
Soak it in warm epsom salt water. That definatly shoukdn't be there but take your time picking it off so you don't tear her skin. Best wat I have found to soak chickens is to put them on a lidded 5 gallon bucket with holes in the lid for airflow.

Hi all. I'm new to having chickens.
I had 3 and a coop offered to me so I thought I'd like to have chickens in the garden to walk round. So far everything had been great.

Just one question regarding one of the chickens.

It has something on one leg. It's quiet hard. I thought it was mud at first but don't want to start messing with it as I'm unsure.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance
Weird, it looks like chicken poop to me, but I’m not sure. Maybe the run they were in was thick with chicken poop. If I was you, I would just get a plastic tub and fill it up with warm water and put the chicken in it up to the top of its legs and see if it soaks off. She might put up a struggle at first but once they feel the warm water they just usually settle in.

Okay thank you will give this a go next couple of days.
The chickens have been great. Had 3 eggs in less than 2 days, I wasn't expecting them so fast as thought they may need to settle.

I replace the water daily. And fill the food up with pellets every other I was advised.

They go Into the coop on their own on an night aswell.

So far so good

Weird, it looks like chicken poop to me, but I’m not sure. Maybe the run they were in was thick with chicken poop. If I was you, I would just get a plastic tub and fill it up with warm water and put the chicken in it up to the top of its legs and see if it soaks off. She might put up a struggle at first but once they feel the warm water they just usually settle in.

The lady I have them. From the coop was on a concrete base which was pretty muddy. So that's why I thought it was mud or poop. But didn't want to agitate it without checking

The lady I have them. From the coop was on a concrete base which was pretty muddy. So that's why I thought it was mud or poop. But didn't want to agitate it without checking
Yeah, looks like chicken poop to me then. It should soak right off. If they were kept in that situation though, I would check the bottoms of their feet and make sure they look OK and do not have any kind of infections or bumble foot.

Okay appreciate all the fast responses from everything I'll update tomorrow when I clean it off hopefully

Hi I put the chicken in a large bin with a bit of warm water and it loosened up a little. I've scraped and cut off with a knife 1/2 of it but I'll do the other half tomorrow. The leg looks fine underneath and I'm pretty sure it's mud and poop

Back
Top Bottom