Any idea on what kind of duckling she is?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by heidihas2ducks, Jun 2, 2011.

1. heidihas2ducks

heidihas2ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hello all! We got these ducklings from agway and were told they were Blue Sweedish. Henry definitely is...I think!...but Victoria definitely is NOT! They are about 6 weeks old and she has developed a body full of brown and black feathers a white colar and a crest on the back of her head! She also has shiney green feathers emerging on top of her head and her cheeks. I am assuming she is at least part Mallard. Any guesses?

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Victoria might be a DRAKE mallard or Rouen....time for a name change to VICTOR [​IMG]

3. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I think she is actually Victor, either crested mallard or crested rouen. Girls just don't get the white collars and green heads. Crests can pop up in any breedline.

4. heidihas2ducks

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Yeah....that's what I was thinking....and to be honest...I think henry is a girl! Lol! Is it true that the females quack and males peep until they get older? And how the devil do I post a picture? I uploaded pics but can't figure out how to put them in a post!

5. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:You have to post a certain number of messages on the board before you're allowed to show pictures, but I don't remember what the number is. Just stay on here chatting with us for a while and it'll let you post them eventually. I want to say it's after 10 posts.

6. heidihas2ducks

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thank you! I feel so silly sometimes! My kids can look at something and not even think and have it all figured out!

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

yes a Victor [​IMG]

8. heidihas2ducks

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I had even vent sexed them as all girls (shocking for a first time attempting of vent sexing...lol!) But I swear I did it right! I just am all sad cause I don't want her to fly away come fall if she is a mallard afterall. Also...will henry follow her if she does decide to migrate being that they are different breeds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by