Any idea what could be wrong?

mviera101

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
S. Fla
My 3-year-old Wynonna Ryder is currently in her first molt as is her sister, Dottie. Wynonna looks horrible and keeps falling asleep on her feet. Yesterday she was walking around the yard and eating and drinking. I brought her in this morning, and she eaten sunflower seeds and scrambled eggs. I put Hen Boost in her water and am watching her. I plan on taking her to the vet in the morning, but does anyone know what could be her issue? Shes lost a lot of feathers on neck, wings and bum. Her poo is greenish in color and white, pretty runny. She doesn't appear to have mites or anything. her vent is normal size, she stopped laying about a month ago when the molt began. Thank you.
IMG_8211.jpg
IMG_8210.jpg

Being lethargic can be normal for a molting hen. As for the poop though, the probiotics you're giving her should help that if she's having some digestive issues.

If she wasn't molting, I'd almost think coccidiosis the way she's standing there sleeping, but your other hen(s) are fine?

Being lethargic can be normal for a molting hen. As for the poop though, the probiotics you're giving her should help that if she's having some digestive issues.

If she wasn't molting, I'd almost think coccidiosis the way she's standing there sleeping, but your other hen(s) are fine?
Thank you, Yes, my other two are fine. Dottie, her sister looks about the same, feather wise but is otherwise active.
I did feel her crop and it was a bit hard, I gave her 1tsp of coconut oil and massaged it. She pooped very green shortly afterward.
The third hen, Penelope is about 8 months and healthy.

Have the vet run a fecal float test for worms.
It could be she is overloaded with them while the other isn't as bad yet.
That's a wonderful idea seeing she's already going to the vet anyway. I'd love to know too if that's what this was. Green watery poop seems odd to me and I think probiotics cure everything lol. Well, almost. ☺️

That's a wonderful idea seeing she's already going to the vet anyway. I'd love to know too if that's what this was. Green watery poop seems odd to me and I think probiotics cure everything lol. Well, almost. ☺️

From my experience with chickens having green poo they haven't been eating at all. The runny tells me worms.

I really hope it's as simple as treating them and all is well again.

From my experience with chickens having green poo they haven't been eating at all. The runny tells me worms.

I really hope it's as simple as treating them and all is well again.
Knocking on wood, mine have never gotten them, to my knowledge, but I use Ivermectin occasionally for scaly leg mites (silkies). Even though that's not the greatest thing to use for worms, maybe I've been killing two birds with one stone.

Back
Top Bottom